Questions about DrWeb

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Q-1 DrW is now at version 4.30. I hear it soon will go to version 5.0. True? If so, does the license for 4.30 *specifically* say whether or not a licensed user of 4.30 will get free upgrade to 5.0?

Q2- I am unsure of the differences [if any] between the various DrW editions for Windows. The edition names I have encountered are...
    1- DrW Home Edition
    2- DrW Lite
    3- DrW Workstation
    4- DrW PRO

Can someone please explain which edition is what, & the significant differences between them? :p

COMMENT: A major reason why I feel sufficient courage to use DrWeb is because of Wilders.org's superb tutorial on configuring said program, provided at...
    http://www.wilders.org/screenshots20.htm

grace & peace to all.........bellgamin

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

No it does not. But DrWebs sales department should be able to answer you this better then anyone. ;)

There are only 2 versions: DrWeb Home and DrWeb Pro(Workstation).

Differences are in license type. Home version allows you ONLY one free program version update within one year. DrWeb Pro/Workstation allows you unlimited program version update within 1 year. DrWebs Pro license will let you run Drweb on different OS then Windows.

tECHNODROME

3. bellgamin

Tech-- many many thanks. In gratitude, I have requested the bird of Paradise to lay a golden egg in your navel one of these dark nights, whilst thou sleepest. :)

Seems to me the best choice for an inveterate risk-taker is to opt for DW's Home Edition & save some $$$ while getting PRO-equal protection.

But I must wait until May 2004, when my F-prot license runs out. I am hoping that, by then, the Frisk folks will have more & better runtime unpackers. If not, then DW is my *Plan B*.

aloha from Hawaii........bellgamin

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

hehehe. Thanks... :D :D

Yup.

F-Prot v4 should/will suffer some great improvments. ;)

Mmmmmm Hawaii....gotta take my wife there... ;)

tECHNODROME

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Oh boy, am I anticipating the new version of F-Prot (specifically for them to finally add real-time monitoring options for XP *gasp*).

Is there a more informative Dr. Web site? The one I found on google seemed to be horribly unuserfriendly site.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To VikingStorm from Firefighter!

Have u tried this link?

http://www.dials.ru/english/

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. bellgamin

FF's link is homebase for DRW's English-language site. The seeling prices on that site are a tad higher than available elsewhere. Here are some links I've gradually accumulated for trialing or buying DRW...

DrWeb's own software shop

DRW Lite for $25

DRW HomeEd $25, & compare to DRW Workstation

DRW Workstation/PRO $29.95!!

HTH........bellgamin

8. Barney

Barney Registered Member

bellgamin, get rid of F-Prot. Other than it's extremely fast scan speed, it's one of the sorriest AV's out there. I used it myself for a year and just about the only virus it can pick up is the EICAR Test file. DRWEB is the BEST antivirus out there. There is absolutely no comparison. It has saved me many times. I used F-Prot and never once received a virus warning over an entire year. The way the internet is nowadays, in my opinion that is not possible. I've had DRWEB for about 3 months now and it stopped the LOVESAN and SLAMMER worms dead in their tracks. A good second choice is KAV. Just my opinion.

Barney

9. edsod

edsod Guest

...and you really believe that you were infected with
    some viruses that F-Prot didn't pick-up ?

I use myself a week now Virus Chaser (a Dr.Web clone) and is really very good but I don't think F-Prot is worse..
    The problem (for me it isn't) with DrWeb is false positives.
    It discovered four fake viruses for me already (one of them was HijackThis.exe !!!)

10. bellgamin

Barney, I truly appreciate the concern that led you to give me this warning. Some might disagree with you, but I fully believe the honesty of your motives.

The folks at Frisk, who maintain the F-Prot antivirus, have always been very helpful and friendly to me when I had a problem or needed help.

I am convinced that the folks at Frisk would really appreciate knowing about what happened to you. I am fully persuaded that they will be attentive and courteous in replying to you. If you help them to improve F-Prot we will ALL benefit.

The F-Prot support link is at...
    http://www.f-prot.com/support/contact_support.html

By the way: I read you loud & clear on DRW. I like it, too!!! :)

aloha from Hawaii.....bellgamin

11. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Ok people, I know I get a little excited and emotional about DRWEB, but I can't help it.......it's my FAVORite. Sorry about F-Prot. It's got a nice interface, it's stable and does a good job.....just not as good as DRWEB :D.
    There I go again, sorry about that F-prot lovers. Try DRWEB and you will understand.

Later people.

Barney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.