Questions about BitDefender Free Edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So right now BitDefender's free edition only does on-demand scanning, and I think the engine is outdated compared to their other products. Right now BitDefender is beta testing its Total Security 2012. Will they be releasing a new version of their free edition? I heard it may have real-time protection. I am interested because their product is doing exceptionally well on the AV-Comparatives dynamic test, and their new GUI is jaw-dropping. Can anyone give any details on the beta or future of the free version?

2. jason_jiang

jason_jiang Registered Member

you're talking about BitDefender 2009 Free Edition.

in fact, BD did released a 2011 Free Edition last year, which have real-time scanning, but only available in Portuguese. if you want, you can modify the installation of a paid edition to get an English free edition.

1. download an offline installation package of paid edition (should be around 200MB. do not use online installers). either AV/IS/TS is OK.
    2. extract it to a new folder with winrar/7-zip.
    3. open setup.xml with notepad.
    4. find <check_for_new_package>1</check_for_new_package>. change this value to 0
    5. find <default_feature>XXXXX</default_feature>. change this value to bdfree
    6. find <free_product>0</free_product>. change this value to 1
    7. find <buy_active>1</free_product>. change this value to 0
    8. find <package_type>XXXXX</free_product>. change this value to retail
    9.save setup.xml then run setup.exe. you can get a English free version with real-time scanning.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  3. Brandonn2010

Will that work with the 2012 one once they release it, or are they planning on releasing a new free version?

4. jason_jiang

jason_jiang Registered Member

of course i don't know, because 2012 is not released yet.

5. carat

carat Guest

As far as I can remember there will be no English version of BitDefender Free 2012 :doubt:

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Is it a Final Decision?

7. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

yes, what is a shame because the 2012 version is far better than the 2011

8. Brandonn2010

Is it? I've been curious about BitDefender since their new GUI is the best I've seen (yes I'm one of those people). They also did very well on last year's AV-Comparatives, all ADV+, except 1 STD, and 1 ADV. They also have a 99% protection rate so far on this year's dynamic test, only behind Symantec.

If they'd come out with a free English 2012 version, I would want to try it out on another PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.