Questions about Antivir free updates( version8)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Anu Antivir free users pls:

- On default settings, does the updates include only virus definitions or programme updates as well? I assume it will only update the definitions.

- How are the updates on dialup? If by default it updates only definitions, then updates must be smaller n smoother than in the past.

- Does it gives any notifications to update the program itself ( assuming that it will only update the definitions)? If so, is it possible to disable these notifications?

- Also just updating the virus definitions will be enough? I mean any side effects of it except for less detection rate? Will the software itself continue working OK?

Thanks

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I'm not too sure about most of your questions, but I'd just like to chime in something here. Not performing program updates with Avira is a big mistake, as most of its generic detection routines are actually not included with the signature databases and coded directly into the scanning engine itself. (Why? Take a wild guess. :shifty:). The routines get refined and upgraded continually, so you should definitely perform program upgrades as well.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I know that already but that makes updates bigger and leads to troubles while on dial up. It,s the only reason I don,t install Avira for my my friends.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that the program updates roll thru there with the regular def updates when the time comes, so it could be a problem on dial-up, also considering the sad state of their update servers for the free version. I use Avira Premium without problems though..

5. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

There are 3 options:
    Download and install product updates automatically
    Notify user if product updates are available (Notify once again after _ days)
    Do not download product updates

According to the help file updates to the search engine are indepedent of this setting.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

After getting a popup about program updates, went in and did them.

311 KBytes this time, 3 files, took just a few seconds. Yes I am on broadband but not a high speed one.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What is by default?

I just checked, I think these are program updates not the virus definitions but not sure.
    U mean the AV engine?
    Its updates are done automatically or by pop up with user interactuion? Where are the settings for it?

See the pic I attached.

Attached Files:

8. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Actually, the scan engine will be updated with the signatures by normal updating. Product/program updates change parts of the GUI and other non-detection related components.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Stefan!

So if I opt for " Don,t download product updates" , it is not going to decrease the security offered by Antivir in any way. Am I true?

10. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well depends on the program udpate. the programm updates wich will come in a closer time should be bugfixes. would be better to install those for running antivir without problems.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Leo. Are u related to Antivir?

12. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Very much so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.