Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by + ShADoW +, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. + ShADoW +

+ ShADoW + Registered Member

I have Kerio 2.15 on my computer. Should I have more protection(firewall) programs on my comp? Or is Kerio 2.15 enough online protection? (firewall based).

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Generally its best to just run 1 software-firewall at the same time.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I know this isn't firewall related. However you appear to be fairly well protected, a imaging program may help. You do not say what browser you use IE? Firefox?

4. + ShADoW +

I decided to start using Look 'N' Stop. Sounds like a good firewall so I am going to give it a try :)

Right now I use IE. I dont like Firefox.

What imaging program might help me?

5. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I use Acronis True Image (help forum here on Wilders).

LnS is nice. See if you can use the beta-drivers, available in the help forum, and use at least the enhanced ruleset :)

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd suggest checking out Drive Snapshot for imaging - it's a single 440KB file with a minimalist interface so has none of the overheads of other imaging software and can make backups in the background while you do other things.

With regard to online protection, some form of web-filtering is advisable to remove "active content" (ActiveX, Java, Javascript, Flash) from webpages (except those that you trust) - this is especially the case if you are going to persist with Internet Explorer (if you cannot stomach Firefox, at least check out Opera or Mozilla). The most powerful filter is Proxomitron which has the big advantage of being able to filter HTTPS traffic (see the Dangers of HTTPS for more details). Another step is to consider the use of anonymising proxies (see Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools for a long discussion on these) though this is more for privacy than security.

Finally one area not (yet) covered on your setup is Windows process security. Check out utilities like Process Guard, System Safety Monitor or PrevX. Then you can consider Windows Registry monitoring/control with SSM or RegDefend.

7. fredra

fredra Registered Member

No offense intended to you P2K...and while I may agree with your statement about Drive Snapshot, they do not appear to provide support for the product. The FAQ on their web site is not what I consider to be support.
    I sent them three emails, with specific questions not covered in their "FAQ's", and never got a response. Maybe my email got lost in translation.
    Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2005
  8. Paranoid2000

YMMV, I've had replies to a couple I sent within a day or so. Care to ask your questions here?

9. Hi, about a drive image, I prefer FarStone DriveClone, very very easy, only 5 mouse clicks to make an image to CD´s or drive, even people who doesn´t have experience about this will find it very easy.

10. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I am a bit hesitant....it may appear that I am hijacking the original posters thread.
    DriveImage instructions and FAQ's deals with having a floppy disk w/snapshot.exe in order to restore the image that was created. That is all fine and good.
    -If the PC's do not have a floppy drive, only CD, how can you create a bootable CD to do the restore?
    -If the restore is on an external USB 2.0 Drive, what is on the bootable floppy/CD to "see" the USB, in order to restore?
    To the original poster, I apologise...no intention to hijack your thread :doubt:
    P2k I have always read your resposes and appreciated your expertise, so do not take this as an argument, but a discussion to enlighten my understnding of DriveImage.
    Thanks

11. + ShADoW +

12. Paranoid2000

You should be able to use the same image for the CD (since bootable CD's work by emulating a 2.88MB floppy on their first sectors).
    You will need to find and include appropriate drivers (the USB DOS Resources page or Bootdisk.com has more on this). Alternatively, create a minimal Windows installation on a CD or even a flash drive and use this for restoring from backups.

13. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thanks for your input and clarification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.