Question

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Hauxfan, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Registered Member

I am a moderator on another board. An Ezboard, if that helps.

After the last update, which I think was on the 19th, SpywareBlaster is erasing my cookies that let the EzBoard know what I have read, and what I have not read.

When I uninstall SpywareBlaster, then the cookies work right.

My question is, is there someway that I can go back and delete the last update? If not, I won't be able to use SpywareBlaster anymore. And I know it is really a great program.

Thanks in advance. Hauxfan!

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Hauxfan, and welcome to Wilders.

It sounds like you can identify which specific cookies are involved. Easiest solution would be to start up SB, find them (hopefully) in the list of protected items, un-tick them, and then remove protection for unticked items.

If you're in IE6, also take a look under "Privacy" and see if they're showing as always-blocked. You can remove them from the list entirely, or better yet designate them as always-accept.

Hope this will get you going again.

Best,
    Mike

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Registered Member

Mike, thanks for the reply.

At first, I went and unchecked everything that had a Ez in front of it. But, that still didn't help me.

Other than that, I don't know what cookie to look for. And I don't understand why SpywareBlaster would block EzBoard cookies, as there are a lot of Ezboards out there.

As you know, SpywareBlaster has quite a few blocked. Is there some way that I could get a list of what new cookies were on the March 19th update, I would have a better chance of finding the right one.

I even un-installed it, but when I re-installed it, and checked for updates, there were 3 of them, but it would not let me pick and choose which updates to install. It was either all or nothing.

Everything worked fine until the last update.

Presently, I have SpywareBlaster un-installed, and my EzBoard forum is working just fine. But, I would rather find a fix if I could, as I really don't want to surf the net without SpywareBlaster. Thanks for your help. Hauxfan!

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One other option, if you want to try that route, is to have SB ignore cookies and just protect against ActiveX "baddies", which is the way I'm set up. They're a lot more serious threat than cookies, obviously. If you use any kind of third-part cookie manager (I use Cookie Pal), you might as well do that anyway, since if I understand correctly it'll over-ride SB's settings.

If you want to try that, first un-select all and remove protection from unselected items. Then go into Settings and tick "Don't show tracking cookies" -- ticking the one for only showing new/unprotected items when updating is also handy (for me, anyway), but isn't part of this, just a sort of "while you're there" thing.

Then return to the Protection (main) screen, and you'll see that it now shows only "Spyware" items. Select all and then protect against all selected items.

At this point you'll have to do your own housekeeping with cookies (or have another utility do it for you) -- manual cleaning's a pain, but not that bad if you do it often enough. And what the heck, with extremely rare exceptions the worst an unwanted cookie can do is generate more spam, right?

And if you ever decide you want SB to take back cookie-control after all, it's essentially the same as above -- just un-tick the don't-show-cookies and then the two steps to protect against all. No need to unprotect first, in this case, since you're adding protection not removing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.