Question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by VinceAshbySmith, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinceAshbySmith

VinceAshbySmith Registered Member

Hey all just installed ESS and am very impressed. I previously had KIS7 installed and had no end of bother but so far (fingers crossed) ESS has been great and much lighter on resources btw! My question is this; do i need another anti-spyware application installed for on-demand scanning, such as A-squared? Or is the protection offered by ESS sufficient? I use firefox and would generally say i'm a safe suffer, i don't go on dodgey sites or anything like that.

On a side note ive read many reviews on ESS claiming that there firewall isn't up to much, however i disagree with this, ive run the same tests with ESS as i did with KIS7 (when i had it working!) and both come up with the same results! So do all those bad reviews of ESS :p

2. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

Hello. In response to your question, I would recommend using another program to scan for spyware. Although their antivirus is one of the best around, they still need to improve their spyware detection. No program can guarantee detecting 100% of all malware that exists, especially since many of them evolve so rapidly. Your surfing habits are one of the most important lines of defense and because of this you would be less likely to pick something up. It is never a bad idea to use a few different programs to make sure that something was not missed. You should not have two active antivirus programs or firewall programs running on the same system as this would most likely cause system problems. Antispyware programs are another story as most can coexist with other software and as long as you are not experiencing any problems on your system, I would recommend using another program. You can use free versions of programs such as Super AntiSpyware, Avg antimalware, or A-Squared to run weekly or monthly scans just to make sure that Eset did not miss anything.

3. gladius

gladius Registered Member

Hi,
    You should bear in mind that ESET doesn't produce a _separate_ firewall product, the firewall that is built into ESET Smart Security relies on the other components. For instance, there have been reviews that have criticised ESET Smart Security for failing leak tests...with the AV portion disabled. This is a bit like saying "I turned it off and it didn't work" :)
    As Ronin said, your surfing habits are important too. I tend to leave the firewall in Interactive mode, because that way, you're definitely going to get a prompt if something bad happens - of course, in many cases, the other anti-malware components of ESET Smart Security should take care of the threat before it gets as far as trying to call home.

best regards

-AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.