Question with Open Suse Live CD ISO

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by sportsfan7700, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I have downloaded the iso. to a blank disk and the file burned successfully but I am unsure how to get my blank disk to show the live cd by booting into F12. I used CdBurnerXP.

(Basically downloaded it at the highest speed and it was successful but upon booting from the cd/dvd drive I boot directly into Vista instead of the ISO of the Opensuse live cd). Can anyone help?

Want to try it out since I previously used Ubuntu. Matt

2. sportsfan7700

One other question. Is the only way to get opensuse is by directly downloading it? I'd figure if it's available i'd try and request a fee cd (although not sure if they do this). If not can someone walk me through the steps to download this so I can try it out??

3. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

Matt,

It sounds like you need to change the boot sequence in your bios settings. Make the CD the first boot device.

Also, I just downloaded the latest OpenSuse iso and installed it with no problems. If your computer is set to boot from CD, and if you burned, not copied, the .iso file to CD, you shouldn't have any problem installing OpenSuse.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Next time burn the ISO at slowest speed, the files are highly compressed so its imperative that the burn is of highest quality for live cd to load properly, set your BIOS boot sequence to boot of optical drives first.

5. yeow

yeow Registered Member

in cdburnerxp, did u choose option "burn as iso image" (correct) or option "data disc" (wrong)?

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

7. sportsfan7700

Ok, going to try it again using 4x speed. Burn as ISO was selected. If this can't work for whatever reason i'll just order a free cd. (think I accidently have 2 or three live ISO's on discs that I accidently burned so i'll remove them from the discs)

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Ahh, a rw disk - may very well be your problem. With spindle towers so inexpensive, I'd burn'n run a one-timer.

9. sportsfan7700

If I have it set to burn at once, 8x and the open suse cd still may not burn right? It has said it has completed. Let me try once more, then if fails I will order the free cd (within 24 hrs) and then download it from there.

10. linuxforall

Use ImgBurn and just select burn ISO, burn it at slowest possible speed on good quality media.

11. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

step 1 download iso from source not torrent also dont pause it during download

step 2 burn iso at speed of 8x in dvd 4 x with some good software like nero.......image burn ...etc

step 3 type F2 or what ever get into your bios and check if boot option set to boot from cd/dvd is 1st if not please set it write

step 4 if you still facing problem try to burn it from different writer or use live usb

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

12. linuxforall

Absolutely right, rw don't burn well and the compressed files will run into issues.

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Undoubtedly good advice. Must say however that I always use rw Verbatim discs and burn the iso's with k3b without reducing the burn speed. I have not yet had a problem, but there is always a first time so in future I will stick to cd-r. :)

14. linuxforall

Mitsubishi Super Azo/Verbatim, Taio Yuden and TDK are the best media around period, you won't run into issues with them but it also depends on your burner.

15. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I always use cdrw discs (700 mbs) if it's just to try out a new distro. I use cdr discs if it's a keeper, like Ubuntu for instance. His trouble sounds like it's in his boot sequence.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.