Question to GData antivirus 2009 users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guilijan, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guilijan

guilijan Registered Member

Hi
    I want to know if GData antivirus 2009 can scan encrypted connections like for example Gmail configured as pop3 incoming and outgoping emails like Kav or Nod for example.
    Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP and 995 for Pop3.
    I culdn't found any references about this habilitie, if it has.
    And if it is possible, if there are any incompatibilities with OnlineArmor free.
    Thank you

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

As far as I know, no AV product can scan encrypted SSL Mail (IMAP) connections like GMail.
    Simply because it uses SSL/TLS which were created to prevent any 3rd party from intercepting your mails. The only possible way AV may be able to intercept your mail, is if it acts as IMAP proxy (highly problematic).

Hence most AV products, just integrate with the E-Mail program like MS Outlook, so that each mail received ( irrespective of format/protocol used) is scanned.

3. guilijan

I think you are wrong.
    Nod32 v 3.xxx and Kav can.
    Kav has it's own certificate to replace gmail for example.
    It works like a proxy.

But I dont know if GData Antivirus 2009 can do it.
    May be because ver. 2009 uses Avast and Bitdefender scanner and I think Avast can do it.

4. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I use GData 2009 & also Outlook. My e-mail used a secure SSL connection & my e-mails are scanned. I use SMTP on 465 & POP3 on 995. I have not tried to use any other e-mail prograqm other than Outlook.

5. guilijan

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know.
    If you can, please give me your opinion about GData.
    I will apreciate it

6. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I really like the A/V. The detection rates are top notch, lots of control over the program, information about what has been scanned (Right click on the icon in the system tray). The GUI is the best I've seen (I have tried many) My experience has been great!!

It does use alot of memory so make sure you have enough. I see no system slowdown & very little when surfing, it does have a HTTP scanner which you can use or turnoff, I have it enabled.

If you have any more questions I will do my best to answer them.

7. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Actually NOD32 can't scan encrypted content:
    http://training.eset.com/kb/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=29&page=articles&articleid=105

As for Kaspersky, it can act as proxy if you enable 'scan encrypted content'. But it gave me trouble with my SSL IMAP connection, so I am not sure if it works flawlessly. As Kaspersky themselves state : "Certain website may be unavailable after Kaspersky Lab certificate installation". I think my mail, was one such example.

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

9. guilijan

I have 2gb of ram. Thank you very much for your opinion.
    And thank you all the guys that answered my post.

I'm now using Kav and will change it for GData, and used Nod 3.xxx for two years.
    I can confirm that 3.xxx scanned my incoming gmail pop3 (encrypted). I really don't know if the last version can do it but the first 3.xx could.

10. guilijan

11. markcc

markcc Registered Member

That is strange. I use Outlook with a secure SSL connection & my mail is scanned. Mabye is has something to do with the Outlook plug in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.