Question: replace OA with DefenseWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Acadia, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Online Armor is an excellent program and will still continue to recommend it to folks. Just that I have an over year old bug that Emsisoft appears to have no interest in fixing, so for me it is possibly time to move on.

I've been hearing so many good comments about DefenseWall, a program that I have never used. I will forever, unless something drastically changes, use Sandboxie also.

Comments, PLEASE WITHOUT RECOMMENDING OTHER PROGRAMS, how about me removing OA, installing DefenseWall while keeping Sandboxie. I would then "wake up" the built-in Win7 Firewall which has been shut down since day one. I am already behind a router so any software firewall is "just in case". I technically would not have any "outward bound" protection but, sheesh, between the above mention programs don't think that I would need it.

Thanks for all sincere comments,
    Acadia

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

Go for it.

I used a similar setup with Vista for a few months. Very slight slowdown when launching Sandboxie but otherwise didn't notice any other kind of lag or conflict. Nothing got through at all. Maybe stick some restrictions on the sandbox.

I've always found OA pretty heavy so you might notice a difference there too.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Running BOTH DW and SB?
    -Why doing this?

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't think there will be any conflicts, try it :D
    And just want to know, what is the bug in OA?

Seriously, the last time i had a bug i reported it and it got fixed in around a month. (I'm a beta tester over their forums)

I sent in over 1GB of dump files, reports and debug files. They sent me and made like a dozen builds and it was finally fixed in the end :thumb: :thumb:
    So if you push it hard enough, report it and provide the files needed, i guess they will fix it

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I originally reported that problem with OA during a beta cycle test and finally got a response a few months ago (from a now ex-Emsi employee) that the problem lay with Chrome, not OA and therefore it wasn't going to be fixed. Ticket closed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks for that Scoobs. I'm a bit puzzled because I do not have the same problem with the combo of Chrome, Sandboxie, and Outpost firewall. Plus, Emsisoft lists that specific problem as a known issue, so I was ASSuming that the problem was with Emsisoft? Maybe I am wrong, been there many times before.

Like I said, that trio works just fine with Outpost but DefenseWall looks to be simpler than Outpost, although they may be two slightly different types of programs, similar but different ... still learning, and Wilders is the best place to learn.

Acadia

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, read my sig. Better to be paranoid than hurt.

Acadia

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You can have adequate Security without Paranoia.
    Use DefenseWall OR Sandboxie.
    Only ONE is enough to protect you (as it has successfully done with many members).

12. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Until DW is not acquired by a third-party company, you can safely trust it. At the moment it introduces top-class protection, and which is more important, it cares about real protection and it goes its own unique way in security.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.