Question regarding Upgrading

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Athanasian Creed, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed Registered Member

Greetings all,

I, many moons ago, bought TI 6 for less then $10 bucks directly from Acronis.

A couple of days ago, i received a notice saying i was eligible for the upgrade to TI 10 for $29.99 US.

My question is, do i need to have an installed older version of TI when doing the install OR can i just install TI 10 fresh (with no copy of TI installed) I know some software manufacturers require either a copy to be installed or else the upgrade will not work OR a copy of the software to point to it when installing to verify that you have an earlier version and therefore eligible for the upgrade price.

I never installed TI 6 as i'm sure it's incompatible with XP Pro SP-2.

TIA,

Ray :)

2. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

No you don't have to have the old version installed. You just need to enter the old ser# along with the new one during the install process.

3. Athanasian Creed

Thanks Ed for the quick response! :thumb:

Cheers,

4. Athanasian Creed

Just another question while i'm "on a roll" :D

Do you need to uninstall Norton Ghost when installing TI?? I believe the answer is 'yes' but am not 100% sure.

TIA,

5. Atomic_Ed

Sorry but I never tried running two different imagin programs on the same ssytem at once. So I really can't say but if I had to take a guess I would say that it will probably cause problems. Ghost is pretty flaky all by itself in my experience. If I were you I would uninstall Ghost prior to loading TI.

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

My guess would be that as long as there are no elements of Norton starting up when windows starts, you can install TI without removing Norton. I don't know why many software makers feel that some element of their software has to startup with windows. I think many of these are "phone home" features.

7. Atomic_Ed

Actually, I am not for certain on this one either but I can say that when I had run Ghost 9 & 10, they load at least half a dozen startup services upon boot. Most of which I believe has to do with their hot imagining functionality. Although compared to Acronis, I felt the function and performance was crude and cluncky at best.Even the latest Save & Restore, loads quite a bit and is no where near as smooth running as Acronis. Ghost products kind of remind me of running a security suite in reference to their load on the system and services that run. I would be very surprised if you can run another imaging program at the same time as Ghost without problems.

8. CarolinaMike

CarolinaMike Registered Member

You can have on your computer Ghost and TI w/ no problems.

9. Athanasian Creed

Are you 100% sure??

I tried installing TI 7 at work on a stand alone workstation and the installer told me i first had to unistall Ghost version 9 before i could install TI?

Has later versions of TI changed that procedure?

Thanks for all the speedy responses - much appreciated! :thumb:

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I had trouble with symantec progs on the same computer as other symantec progs. If you don't have to have the Ghost and ATI, then I'd lose the ghost. IT might work fine or it might go woncky after a live update.

sh

11. CarolinaMike

CarolinaMike Registered Member

I have TI (8 ands 9), Ghost( 8 and 10), Paragon, PQDI, Retrospect and a few more on the computer at home and have run into no conflicts in the years I have done this. I have found that depending on the HD you try to Image that either TI or Ghost will do the job and so that is why I have those programs. The others were given to me by Company Rep's except for the PQDI which I purchased years ago. I also run a very clean computer and clean out my registry of any conflicts about every 2 weeks using a registry cleaner.
    Ghost does use the system resources so like in the previous post stated if you have to pick between the 2 use TI.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

13. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I had Norton Ghost 10 installed on my system while I was testing True Image 9.0. Both Ghost and TI were running scheduled backups (at different times, naturally.) I didn't observe any problems.

14. Athanasian Creed

Just as an FYI, i recently installed the trial version of TI 10 on the same XP computer i have Ghost 9.0x on with no apparent problems.

Both Ghost 2003/version 9 have worked A-OK for me in the past in restoring XP - no probs whatsoever. The feature i like about TI 10 is the ability to be able to back up all your Outlook settings which i wasn't able to do with Ghost. The fact that it supposedly is compatible with Vista is of no great interest since Vista will have a built in backup program so this seems a redundant feature on Acronis' part.

Thanks for all the help gang, much appreciated!!

15. Athanasian Creed

I love GoBack, it's saved my bacon so many times in the past. However, i've always disabled it before doing a backup and reenabled it after.

Thing is, it takes so darn loooong to finish disabling (upwards of 3 hrs. sometimes!) that it's a real pain you-know-where! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.