question regarding incoming and outgoing email scanning

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by chrome_sturmen, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hi-whenever i download emails with the bat- i can see the nod32 scanner at work, and my emails have a message at the bottom that says" scanned with nod32"

however when i send emails, i dont see this same thing- i sent an email to myself, and i neither saw the nod32 transparent scanner, and the message i sent to myself didnt have the "scanned with nod32" at the bottom, like with my incoming mails

how can i find out if nod32 is scanning my outgoing emails? at the least, id like people i email to know the message was scanned, but maybe this would just be a matter of adding a signature to my emails?

thanks in advance

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

The IMON component of NOD32 does *not* scan outgoing e-mail, which is sent via SMTP. It scans only incoming POP3 mail and HTTP.

3. chrome_sturmen

that sure seems strange

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Personally I ignore any tag on incoming emails that was not done by my own AV. I feel putting a tag on an outgoing email is redundant as the recipient cannot evaluate if the tag is real, the program and definitions used were up to date or the program is any good.

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

What aglove said is correct.

The IMON module check your incoming mail that is collected via pop3 only. This is quite normal.
    If you want outgoing messages checked and tagged you would need to upgrade to using Outlook so that the EMON module can operate.

Just to re-iterate, IMON does not check outgoing SMTP at all.

Cheers :)

6. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

HMM - I think this is just for Outlook, not outlook express.

7. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Why can you tag mail, sent with Outlook Express.....not being scanned really?

8. i_kenefick

Because EMON supports Outlook. Not outlook express.

9. Benvan45

I understand, but why is the ability there to tag sent mail through Outlook Express then? It doesn't make sense to me.

10. chrome_sturmen

so what options do i have for scanning outgoing mail? i tried the nod32 plugin for the bat, but it didnt work

11. alglove

The ability to tag outgoing e-mails is NOT there, at least not with IMON.

You may be confused because marcromero said it was there. Maybe he is confused because he thinks it is there when it is not. Or if it is there, then I am confused because I have never seen it before, and I have no idea why it would be there, unless he is thinking of EMON instead of IMON, but EMON has no effect on Outlook Express. Which, of course, is confusing because Outlook and Outlook Express sound so similar, but Outlook uses Extended MAPI and Outlook Express uses Simple MAPI, but only Extended MAPI is supported by EMON.

Got it? o_O

12. Benvan45

Sorry, but you are pretty wrong my friend, the ability to tag outgoing mail with Outlook Express with Imon is there all right!!!
    Personally I don't use the tagging, but it sure as hell works with Outlook Express and it amazes me, that outgoing mail through Outlook Express is not being scanned.....I know it's not scanned by Emon, but it must be scanned somehow......otherwise what's the use of tagging it with Imon? I can send you an email with Outlook Express, just to show you.

13. alglove

NOD32 plugin for The Bat!? Do you mean the one described here, developed by Marek Mikus?

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/read.php?FID=4&TID=644&MID=4817&phrase_id=1165430#message4817

My understanding is that this plugin serves to scan encrypted mail received by The Bat! by having NOD32 scan it after it has been decrypted. From the description, it does not scan outgoing mail, unless you have another plugin in mind.

I believe that Eset's thinking is that outgoing viruses will be caught by the AMON module, as the virus will be some sort of attachment to the e-mail. AMON will scan the attachment file as the e-mail program accesses it, and that should prevent the virus from spreading.

14. alglove

Does it really add the message for you? How strange. I just tried it on my computer with Outlook Express, and I got no "checked by NOD32" message on the sending side (though the message did get added once I received it).

Go ahead and send me an e-mail. I will send you a private message with a couple of e-mail addresses. This I want to see for myself! :)

15. Benvan45

My fault......it does not add a tag. My mistake! Excuses for that! I always believed it did, but by sending it to myself, I always read the incoming tag ofcourse, that's why! I jumped to quickly....sorry again. ;)

16. i_kenefick

NO! It is not there! :isay:

17. Benvan45

Already apologized.....for my mistake!

18. alglove

Heh heh, that's OK. That is quite an easy mistake to make. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.