Question RE: emails/Outlook Express

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I have a question that I'm hoping somebody could help me with.

I am about to make a move to another state, and I have created a "Saved" folder in my Outlook Express (default email client). Once I move, I'll no longer have my current internet service provider and will have a new one.

I'd like to know....what is the best way to save the emails that I have currently in the "Saved" inbox folder that I created?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just create a folder in my documents or where ever you want and right click on the emails ans click on save as and point it to the folder you created and save them there. I have been saving emails like that for years.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Another thing you could do is set up a yahoo email account and forward all your OE mail ,that you want to save ,to yourself.

If any type of disk corruption occurs your emails are still there at yahoo.:)

4. JRCATES

Thanks for your help, guys.....very much appreciated.

I actually thought about that, Franklin....but I'm hoping there might be a way to return them to their current state in Outlook Express once I've made the move.

Big C,

Regarding what you said above....is there a way to "import" the folder that I create and save them to...back to Outlook Express after the move (and I have a new ISP)? So that they are in the same condition that they are now?

EDIT: Also, should I "copy" them to the new folder....or "move" them?

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. bigc73542

That is a good question. I usually put them in a folder and then burn them to a cd. but I would have no idea on how to put them back intp OE since I have never used it. Is there possibly an import function in OE that will put them back??

6. JRCATES

Not that I'm aware of. I just looked, and there is an option to "import" from ANOTHER (different) email client...but no option I see for from a folder.

If I create a folder and "move" or "copy" them there (I edited my last post)....will I be able to "open and view" them? I'm thinking that they won't be viewable as they currently are, but I have no clue....maybe they are (?)....

7. bigc73542

this is a screen shot of my saved mail folder. all i have to do is click on one and it opens right up

8. JRCATES

Thanks, Big C. Do you "copy" them to the folder....or "move" them there? Not sure that it makes a difference, but if it works for you, then I wanna make sure I do it YOUR way :thumb: :D

9. bigc73542

i right click them and then click save as and then have them saved in the folder i created

10. JRCATES

Thanks again, Big C. I'm gonna try it and let you know how it goes. I have about a hundred of them....so I guess now the decision is if I should do them one at a time, or try to do them all at once :eek:

11. bigc73542

Have fun, I used to have that many but I put them on cd.

12. JRCATES

Thanks for your help, Big C. When I open "File", and then cghoose "Save As"....it seems to work. So far, so good.

EDIT: I saved them all to a folder I created, and I can open them from the folder....so it seems to work. Took a while, but now that's taken care of. Good job with all of your help, and advice :thumb:

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I would make a new folder in OE and call it "saved archives 1." After copying all of your emails out of the saved folder and keeping them as .eml files (and I agree with bigc that's a smart thing to do), also copy them to the archived folder. Then, save all of your actual .dbx Outlook Express folders and burn them to a CD or DVD. If you choose, when you get your new OE up and running, you can make folders in OE with the same names and then simply replace them with your old mailboxes. It's like nothing ever changed, except you have your "saved" mail archived and you start fresh with a new save folder. One tip if you do this: Actually place an email in each of the newly named folders in the new Outlook Express. For some reason, OE needs to "see" a used .dbx file in order to replace it with the others you burned to disk or saved on an external drive, etc. That tip alone can save you a lot of frustration in figuring out why your folders won't copy over to your new Outlook Express.

14. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

do you have to move anything at all? i thought you could just create a new identity for your new ISP email and continue with all mailbox folders in the same place? that is, if you are taking your PC/laptop with you

15. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You're right of course if this is the situation. I was under the impression that for some reason they were going to have to change computers since they were asking this question, but maybe they don't know you don't have to go to all that if they're using the same PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.