Question re compatability of FD-ISR with True Image 8 + Anchoring query

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by zoril, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:)

I am considering purchasing FD-ISR.

Currently I have only the one main partition on my C: drive + a very small FAT16 dos partition for Dell troubleshooting...

Firstly I dont have a good technical knowledge. Before posting I read a number of articles re FD-ISR here and visited the Leapfrog main URL but am still unclear on a few points. Any help would be appreciated:-

1.) Re Anchoring - If I am not concerned about regular updating individual files say for example in "My Documents". Can I simply forget about anchoring, create an image and get a complete disk backup in the same way as restoring a complete partition with ATI, to the restore point when the backup was first created?

2.) Will running both ATI version 8 and FD-ISR together cause me any problems re MBR. With ATI I use the backup recovery CD rather then Acronis Startup Manager. I am unsure if ATI uses the MBR or not? Would I need to disable preboot etc with FD-ISR? I read a few articles about this but still am confused. I don't want to make any mistake and mess up my system. Hopefully one of you will be able to advise me.

All replies much appreciated...

Howard

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Howard

1. I don't bother with anchoring either. Unless you had big files and lots of them, it don't think it will be an issue.

2. I don't remember about version 8 of ATI. With the later builds of version 9 ATI images the whole disk including mbr and track 0, and then you can also restore them. I don't believe 8 does. Also in the latest version's of FDISR, the preboot has been moved from the mbr to the partition table.

The worst that happens if you restore an image is FDISR would show up with the preboot the first boot. Once up you just go into the gui, and enable preboot and are back in business. YOu used to need to disable preboot to image but no more.

I would totally agree, don't use the secure zone, or any of the other bells and whistles.

Pete

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi Peter:)

Many thanks for the reply. Your comments are most helpful...

From what you say when I install FD-ISR I might be best to leave preboot enabled as disabling it would serve no useful purpose?

Howard

4. Peter2150

Absolutely. IF preboot disabled you'd have no way to boot to the other snapshots. At this point with the latest version, there is no reason to ever disable preboot.

Pete

5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Thanks again Pete:)

It definitely seems that the two go well together. With ATI I may use it solely for complete disk backup (if Windows fails for any reason), while FD-ISR can handle the backing up to an earlier configuration after downloading different software programs...

I might also create an ATI complete disk image prior to installing FD-ISR, then make another immediately after the installation to be on the safe side.

You have been most helpful.

Much appreciated,

Howard

6. Peter2150

You are most welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.