Question on VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 10xSuppress, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10xSuppress

10xSuppress Registered Member

Hi all,

I recently got a vpn. While connected to it, I decided to visit my bank website. Surprisingly it let me log right in. I was expecting to have to go through several verification steps, since my IP was different than my real location. Why did this happen?

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

That could depend on any number of things. As with most online services, the primary method of validating your identity on banking sites is the username and password. IP address geo-location is a secondary method of validation which may or may not be used at all, depending on your bank's policy. Most banks recognize the need to be flexible when it comes to IP addresses in particular, considering that there are any number of legitimate reasons for customers to be connecting from unfamiliar addresses -- such as logging in from home, school, work, or while on a vacation or business trip. Also, if the IP address of the VPN server is reasonably close (same country/region) as your actual location, then it probably wouldn't have raised any flags at all.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok I just have to be silly here, hehe, but really!

Haven't you heard, --> Have laptop will travel?

It's the main reasons why... ;)

CHEERS

4. 10xSuppress

10xSuppress Registered Member

Ah yes that may explain it. The ip address I'm using is in the same region as me. I was worried that my vpn wasn't working at all haha. Thank you!

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you're curious you can use an IP location service to show how your apparent location changes when you enable the VPN. I'm in the US and use a service that has servers across the US and Europe. I recently used one of the Euro servers by mistake and couldn't log in to my email because I hadn't authorized access from outside the US.

6. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I believe that the bank website installed a cookie on your machine identifying it. As long as the cookie is on the machine it doesn't matter where you are or what isp you use when you log in, the bank knows you have previously answered the verifcation questions from this machine.

I use a Sandboxed web browser and my bank lets me sign in without asking the verification questions, but once I delete the Sandbox contents, including the cookie the bank has installed, I will have to answer the verification questions.

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Cookie.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.