Question on Saving Images to CDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dopey Duke, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dopey Duke

Dopey Duke Registered Member

I feel foolish to even have to ask this question but I don't want to waste a sizeable number of CDRs so here goes.

I admittedly am confused by the many file formats involved in writing to CDs and DVDs.

I just created initial images of my two computers using the latest build of TI 8 and now I want to put the 20 image files on CDs so I can delete them from the computers. I use Nero Express 6 for my CD burning and when Nero creates image files they come out as a .nrg format and I save them to CD using the "Make Data CD" function in Nero. Can I safely assume that if I save all the Acronis .tib files in this way that I will be able to use them to restore my systems if I need to? I don't know of any way to test the process so I need for someone who has done this to give me some assurance that I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

2. howie123

howie123 Registered Member

I assume you have 20-700MB "CD-sized" .tib files. Just burn them as regular data files, 1 per CD with Nero. I don't know where the .nrg figures into this as it has nothing to do with burning .tib files. If you need to restore, you would boot with your Acronis boot CD, insert the last CD in the set in a CD drive and point to that drive as the source of your image. You'll be prompted to insert the other CD's as required. Using that many CD's for a backup set is never recommended, though, because if just one CD gets damaged or is otherwise corrupt, your entire image is lost. Utilizing a second internal or external hard disk for your images is the way to go, in my opinion. It's much faster and you don't need to be there to swap 20 discs during a restore procedure.

3. Dopey Duke

Dopey Duke Registered Member

Thanks Howie. I was confused by all the jargon associated with burning CDs. I have since done some reading on various and some of the confusion is gone. I suppose that both the .tib and .nrg formats used by Acronis and Nero respectively are both standard ISO images. And, if I understand correctly, UDF is a standard for burning CD-R and DVD-R but not CD-RW or DVD-/+RW disks. Finally, Joliet is a Microsoft add-in that permits use of long filenames on CDs and DVDs.

I really need to find a readable document on the whole issue but I'm just picking up bits and pieces here and there.

I'm sure you are also correct in your comments about using that many CD-Rs to do an image. I seldom use more than 7 or 8 without running into one that can't be read for some reason so backing up on a large number would be bucking the odds. It looks like I need to spring for a few dollars and pick up another hard drive just to dedicate to backup purposes.

Thanks again for your help

4. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

You could run the verify option to check if your CD images are OK. The other option would be to fit a DVD writer to reduce the number of discs considerably. Or fit an internal or external hardrive. I use the latter as I disconnect it when not needed so lengthening its lifespan. That's the theory anyway. ;)
    HTH
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.