Question on restoring hidden partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by napoleon, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Hello all! I had a question about restoring hidden partitions using True Image 8 Enterprise Server. We use Dell servers that have a ~35mb FAT Basic partition that is hidden and installed by the Dell server setup software. Since this partition is hidden, it does not have a drive letter assigned and is used for troubleshooting server issues. The other paritions on my hard drives are C: and D:, which are Dynamic simple volumes.

When True Image restores the hidden partition, it assigns it a drive letter. Natively, however, these partitions do not have drive letters assigned as they are hidden. I can remove the drive letter after the restore, but I was wondering if there was any way True Image could restore the hidden partition in the same fashion it was before the image was restored (that is, restore it with no drive letter assigned).

My other problem is this...since True Image restores dynamic disk as basic disk, I have to upgrade the disk to dynamic after the restore. I have no issue with this - as it only takes a few seconds - but it also turns the hidden partition into a dynamic volume. This partition is supposed to be a Basic disk. Does any one know how I can upgrade only C: and D: to dynamic, while leaving the hidden partition as a Basic disk? This is how it is before the image is restored, and there is no option through Windows Disk Management.

If anyone has any insights, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello napoleon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/).

You may choose not to assign a letter to some partitions you restore as it is described in the User's Guide (Chapter 6, point 6.8, pp. 45-46).

As for the Basic to Dynamic convertion I would recommend that you contact Microsoft Support Team in connection with this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. napoleon

Thanks for your help. I never see the option to assign a drive letter during a restore. After I select the disk, I am asked to select the destination, and perform an integrity check, but that's it. I am never asked whether I want to manually assign a drive letter or not. Have you ever seen this? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I am using Dynamic Disks? Thanks!

4. FTJoe

FTJoe Registered Member

I've noticed that I don't get the option to restore with a drive letter when using the bootable CD. I do see it when I use the software from the operating system (XP). Perhaps it requires the OS to perform this task? If it's supposed to work from the bootable CD I'm curious why it's not functioning.

5. napoleon

Good point...I should mention that the scenario I am talking about involves booting from the Rescue CD from the server I want to image, then pulling the image from the network. Maybe it doesn't work that way? I hope someone can lend some insight!

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

7. So what happened here?? I can't hold my breath any longer........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.