Question on my Work IT support

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ArtemisX, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

A computer at work got a Trojan horse that the "offical" anti virus software - AVG didn't completely remove. So given the IT support was off working at another site, i installed and ran Prevx, Mbam and A-squared. these 3 found another 30 or so infected files that AVG had missed (alot to do with Koobface.

What was odd to me was that when the IT support arrived he removed Mbam, Prevx and A-squared, lecturing me that they would interfere with AVG. To me this seems counter to most of what i've read on these forums.

Do i need to educate my IT support in malware scanners benefits to major antivirus software or am i missing something in how anti-virus and anti-malware software interact?

1st post i've made, but FAR from the 1st post read, thanks all for your great threads and help.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

On-demand scanners wouldn't interfere with AVG.
    You could run any of these three antimalware programs real-time and normally it shouldn't "interfere" with an antivirus program.

Yep. It sounds to me like the IT person could use some pointers on the use and benefits of the programs that you used.

3. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

glad to know im not completely loosing it, i run (once a week or so - on demand) these 3 malware programs on my computers at home in addition to my antivirus. its hard to balance a general understanding i've gatherd from a "relatively" unknown gathering of people on this forum (unkown only in the basis that we can all hide behind an alias/suppsoed education to a point on a forum) to the knowledge of my work IT support.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It has been my experience that the best sort of people to work with are those that don't care where a better solution comes from, only that they can learn from it and be better for it. You don't always get that unfortunately. Some like to wallow in themselves too much.

Sul.

5. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Your IT support might not be familar with these IT tools.

As a general rule , and esp in the past , IT security products would frequently conflict with each other.
    Its not surprising really , security and malware often target the same bits of windows , so security software would think other security software was malware.
    :)

So their points were not totally off the wall.

6. Bertrand1

Bertrand1 Registered Member

I also removed the Koobaface virus using AVG scan. retsrted computer and ran scan and 0 infections found. i can not connect to Inter Explorer. I did set the LAN settings to "Use automatic proxy server" Still no connecttion.

Any advise out there?

7. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Go into safemode and download, install and scan with the following:

HitmanPro
    MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
    Super Anti-Spyware
    A2 free
    Dr Web CureIt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.