Question on Kaspersky 6

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by so.fongy, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. so.fongy

so.fongy Registered Member

Hi. I've just swictched from avg free edition to kaspersky 6. However, i've noticed that when i do a speed test for my internet connection, the results are much lower (13 mbps without kaspersky running but only 7 mbps with kaspersky running). Is this normal? When i was using avg the speed test results were pretty much the same. Are there any settings i need to change or something? Thanks.

2. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

I disable the mail and the web antivirus part of kaspersky as your on demand will catch it anyways.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I have already answerred your identical post at the Kaspersky forum.

4. so.fongy

so.fongy Registered Member

Thanks. Here is Don Pelotas's reply:

"It's because of the web-av (which AVG doesn't have), try to do two test, download a file with the web-av on, then download the same file with it disabled."

Unfortuneately i can't do the test at the moment because i'm capped (throttled speed bacause of excessive download). But when i do the tests, i should see that the download speeds are equal right? Thanks

5. toasale

toasale Registered Member

Why would any AV product's web protection need to be deactivated for speed tests? If a firm is going to offer this protection in a package, it should be available to handle bit processing. Otherwise, why have it if you can't surf without it's claimed protection?:p

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If this was true then i would agree..it isn't, some see a reduction in speed, others done (that would be me).:p

In this (taken out of context) example, the OP couldn't understand why there was a difference, between AVG and Kaspersky with the web-av enabled.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well cmon 8mb is more than fast enough so stop complaining. i only have 2mb broadband!

8. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

i also had an issue with this but mine was the opposite of what you are saying, i had Avira installed on this computer. when i did a speed test it told me my average was aprox. 8 mbps dn, 480 up. I switched back to kaspersky and my averages are 11 mbps dn and 480 up. so i dont know why you would see any slowdown with KAV, but then again im not an expert, just telling you my experience.

9. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I havent recognised a speed problem with Kaspersky, even have Web-AV at buffering scan, still works fine! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.