Question on AV/AS Scanning Linux Partition

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yeow, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi, I've recently installed linux/ubuntu (as dual boot) on my winXP home pc. I also have FS-Driver installed which enables winXP to read & write to my linux partition. So when I do full scans, they currently include the ext3 partition.

My question:
    The signatures for AV/AS apps installed on winXP - do they also apply to Linux? If they don't apply, I should exclude the linux partition for future scans.

P.S. I'm not knowledgeable abt AV/AS technology, or linux, or even windows for that matter!! So pardon my asking.

Thanks,
    yeow

2. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't bother. What I would do is the opposite. I would get a virus scanner for Linux, like F-Prot for Linux, and use it to scan your Windows XP partition. Not to replace your existing antivirus, of course, but to supplement it.

Phil

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No need to scan the Linux partitions. Different file systems, different ways the things work. The only way you can have a Windows-harmful exe on your Linux partition is if you download or copy one there.
    Mrk

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I would not bother, since linux really doesn't have any spyware or viruses in the wild, and it will also save you considerable time while scanning ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

If you want to be sure I would recommend you to run your future scans of the windows partition from Ubuntu. The other way round, scanning your Linux partition from Windows has no point to it, as there aren't really any viruses around for Linux.

If you want a good scanner to install in Linux to scan your Windows drive, I would recomment you Avira Antivir. You could even activate the OnAccess part of it in Ubuntu if you want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.