Question: How to move files...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by springer, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. springer

springer Registered Member

Running Win2K Professional, and MS Office 2000 Pro.

Hardrive is partitioned, C (NTFS) & D (FAT32). I didn't set this up myself, so I'm not up to speed.

Space is at a premium on my C drive where all my programs lie, with considerable left on D. (6 gigs total between them)

Secondly, everytime I do a Norton, Ad-Aware or whatever scan, it has to slowly slog through about 250 megs of Clipart.

I rarely use these files...but want to keep them just in case.

Is it possible to move this "Program" file from MS Office on C over to D, yet still be as readily accessible from the Office suite?

And if so, how?

o_O

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

You need about 15% free space in the C partition or windows will come to a crawl. Instead of moving stuffs to the D partition, I would rather reduce the size of D and merge those free spaces back to C. You can go to www.bootitng.com to download this program that will allow you to repartition your hard drive. Try it for free during the first 30 days.

Didn't know that the Clipart program took that much HD space. It's probably best to remove Clipart and reload it in the D partition. Unfortunately, you will still have to scan Clipart if you are running a full virus scan.

It appears that you may have an ancient system that is not very fast. You don't have much room to do anything with 6GB. I've seen 60GB HDs go for less than $30. Note that older PCs may not be able to recognize the full capacity of the 60 giger. Use a PCI ATA adapter card to overcome this limitation.

3. springer

Hi!

Yep, it's a tad older system, IBM 300PL with Pentium 2.

I've got about 21% freespace left on the C drive...and my system seems to be dragging its butt lately. (Upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2005 seemed to take up a lot of space, and slowed things down...especially MS Outlook.)

Had a look at the partioning program manual at Bootit...not sure I want to go there.

I just copied the "Clipart" folder to my D drive.

Now...

If I delete the file outright from Program files for MS Office on the C drive, will MS Office find the file on the D drive? Is the registry updated automatically? Or is there more steps I have to take first?

o_O

Sure appreciate your help on this. :)

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

HUGE mistake to put any Norton crap on that old PC. Zone Alarm 2.6 or Kerio 2.15 would be more suitable as the firewall. You also need a light AV, like NOD32. NIS 2005 will drag down even the latest high-end system. Get it off your PC!

You can copy the whole file to the D partition and delete it from the C partition. If you encounter problem, then move the file from the D partition back to the original location.

5. springer

Thanks, partner.

Didn't realize NIS would be such an issue. Will look into alternatives you suggest.

Cheers!

:)

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The firewalls are free via a google search. You can visit the NOD32 website to download the trial version. I've seen NOD advertised for $30. Command AV is another paid AV that will work well with your machine.

I'm using the free version of Avast Home 4.5. This is a good AV. Do give it a try!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.