Question from potential user

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter2150, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am ordering an external Hard Drive which will provide plenty of storage space to use for disk imaging. My computer has a 120gig hdd, and the external will be 250gig. Currently I am using about 12gig of my computer's drive.

Discounting time considerations, if I choose to do a complete image as opposed to incrementals images, can I save multiple images, and restore from a given one if I so choose.

I daily backup my data, but I have come to realize, that the time to start with a new drive and get back to where I am would make the investment in a drive and the Acronis software dirt cheap.

Any idea's and considerations are welcome.

Thanks, Pete

2. f123

f123 Guest

You can store multiple image files in the external HD. Just give each new file a new name, like year, month, day, and partition...040707C. You can achieve 50% reduction in data if you use NORMAL COMPRESSION.

Since most problems including infections happen with the operating system, you would be better off putting ONLY the operating system in the C primary active partition. My C partition is only 710MB. A daily backup of this partition to another HD will almost guarantee you the ability to restore Windows. i would also create two extended logical partitions in the primary HD...one for data and programs, the other for critical data that would change on a daily basis. Include the partition that contains your critical data when you run the imaging software. It takes about 2 minutes to image my 710MB C primary partition.

You can purchase quick release internal HD bracket. Transferring data to a slave internal HD is faster and more reliable. An internal HD is also cheaper. Finally, you can remove the slave internal HD for transportation or safe keeping. I do not have much experience with TI. However, I can vouch for the reliability of Drive Image 5 after restoring hundreds of image files. Avoid the latest version of DI by Symantec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.