Question for those using ZA on Broadband

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Acadia, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

This may be a dumb question but I have never had Broadband or used ZoneAlarm. In a couple of weeks I will FINALLY be making the switch to Broadband, probably cable. Of course I will be using a router with hardware firewall but I also plan on using ZoneAlarm free version as another layer of protection. Do any of you use the ZoneAlarm Stop Button or Lock whenever you stop surfing in order to "kill" your Internet connection? I don’t know quite how to word this, if you do use one of these two features, do you have any problem getting the connection reestablished whenever you want to start surfing again? Is it as easy as simply turning it "off" and "on"? In the ZoneAlarm manual, it is advised that you do NOT use those features except in an emergency but I remember several years ago when ZoneAlarm first came out that those features were suggested for use to "kill" your connection whenever you stopped surfing. Thanks for all replies.

Acadia

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The "Stop" button is an irrelevant feature in my view - just unplug the cable connecting your PC to the router. This is supremely effective in terminating any Internet access - and the connection should be restored a second or two after plugging the cable back in.

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Using the Stop button can be a lot faster and more convenient if you want to stop the connection ASAP rather than unplugging the cable from the pc depending on how your work area is set up. No problem either way in my experience reestablishing a connection. I also have my cable network connection showing in my systray and can disable it with a couple clicks if I wish. (Some dsl users have said that disabling the network connection for them is not that simple, I don't know.)

The Internet Lock is for when you're away from your pc for a while or not using the net and want the connection to be cut. It can be set to automatically lock when a screensaver engages or after a certain period of internet inactivity. I think I've I've seen in the past some occasional posts in forums where people may have had problems re-engaging the connection after they've gone back to the PC and stopped the screensaver. But I haven't used the Internet Lock so I can't say first hand if this is a common or likely issue when the lock is used with a screensaver.

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

I've never used ZA's 'Stop' or 'Lock'. I disconnect from the connection icon in the SystemTray.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

with my linksys router all I have to do is disconnect from internet right in the router interface, when I click connect it is for all intents and purposes instantanious.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I never use the ZA lock feature either for casual disconnecting / reconnecting. I supposed I'd use it if I ever thought I had a serious problem and wanted to kill the connection quickly. (My DSL modem and cable aren't within easy reach or easy access.

If I want to disconnect from the net, I just 'hangup' my DSL connection. (It's a PPPoE based ADSL connection and really looks just like dialup from the system's perspective.) I've read the same reports of people having issues 'resuming' after extended use of the Lock feature, so I never bothered even trying it.

7. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Acadia,
    The latest version of Zone Alarm is 5.0. I'd strongly suggest you visit the Zone Labs user forum before installing ZA 5.0. You'll see a massive number of posts from users who upgraded from the prior 4.5 version to 5.0 and have experienced a multitude of problems. You'll also see a common thread of advice throughout: revert back to version 4.5!

I unfortunately upgraded to Zone Alarm Pro 5.0 (the purchased version) and I'll revert back to 4.5 myself.

Regards,
    Stro

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Stro, thank you. I have never had 5.0 on my system. The ONLY ZoneAlarm that I have ever had is the free version of 4.5. It is my secondary shield behind my NAT router. It works perfectly and I see no reason to ever have to upgrade: I adhere to that old fashion philosophy that says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Thanks again.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.