Question For the AV Experts

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, i know this question has been covered very receintly but when it was it was for KAV. But reading that other topic has really got me thinking about my setup. As i am using Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0i (and love it) but i was wondering do the AV experts think it is a good idea to run a second AV alongside your main one. To compliment its real time protection while browsing the internet.

I was just wondering as when you see the breakdown charts on every antivirus there is some detection parts each AV are not good at. So to compensate for this should i run another AV alongside my main one to ensure best detectability across the board.

Further to this can i ask is it advisable to do this at all as i know KAV clearly states on its operating instructions "use only one AV and no others alongside", and i remember myself with my own computer as about a year ago when Norton wasnt stopping infections from entering my computer and messing up my system i was told by PC World because i also had AVG running alongside that this caused norton to stop functioning properly (i think though it was simply because norton was and still is a load of rubbish as when i stopped using the two it still wasnt picking anything up, hence the reason i switched to mcafee)

So should i just leave my system as it is with Mcafee enterprise installed by itself or should i run a complimentary AV. And if so which.

Thanks

2. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I am no expert but honestly if you practice safe internet surfing the chances of a Virus get through with an Decent Av installed is pretty slim.

I think your scanner is good enough already. If you want a 2nd scanner than i would suggest NOD32 which is light on resources. Use NOD32 as on access and Mcafee as on Demand Scanner.

why would running 2 on access scanner be a problem??

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

It's never a good idea to run two AV's alongside each other in realtime. Now, if you want to run McAfee 8.0i as your on-access (realtime) scanner and have a backup on-demand scanner (on-access/realtime turned off) of your choice, that should work fine.
    Bad things happen when you run two realtime scanners at the same time.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have managed to upgrade to the final release product, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46314 McAfee Enterprise Edition should be more than sufficient as a standalone AV on your computer. The McAfee engine is very good at both virus, trojan and other malware detection;
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67
    http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=690

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

It's not a bad idea to occasionally scan your system with another AV but it should be one of the on-line scanners, not a second scanner residing on your system.

Acadia

6. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

May I ask how to use antivirus program for 2dn scanner? How to obstruct that antivirus starts when windows loads? How to do that some program wouldn't scan files for all the time but just what I want that?

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If you want to install a second a/v program as a scanner only,a lot of programs have options for installing.
    Look for "custom" install and this should allow you to choose the scanner instead of a "full" install which will install all program components.
    If you have the "custom" install just be sure not to check a box for installing the monitor and mail scanner(if available).

An alternative to this would be downloading a program like McAfee Stinger which doesn't install.
    You download the program and click the Stinger icon located in the folder that you downloaded it to.

8. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Since you have McAfee 8.0i, you should be very well protected. If you want to double check your system, you can try one of the online scans (Panda, Trend Housecall, ect.) or you can download eScan free:

Free eScan Antivirus Toolkit Utility
    http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp

I believe it uses the Kaspersky engine which usually finishes #1 in tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.