Question for Shadow Defender users

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Acadia, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

ruinebabine, you have performed a lot tests with your free UD defragmenter, but you haven't tried the consolidate! I don't know whether I'm missing something, but I can assure you that Windows own defragmenter, jkdefragger, and Piriform Defraggler never gave me less than 1.5 GB start with Shadow Defender.

See for yourself, I've just defragmented with consolidate, and started straight after Shadow Defender.

Attached Files:

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've always used jkdefrag, and never had more than 2GB usually.

I tried puran, and the system is definitely quicker now, so I'm liking the program.

Checked SD, and D drive has dropped considerably by a couple of GB. But C drive seems to have jumped (from 2GB) to 7GB. Crazy stuff, I'll have something to play around with this week as well. ;)

Also tried free version of UltimateDefrag, consolidate, but didn't check the fast placement option. Must be on the full version. Still C drive is now up to 7GB (previously using jkdefrag, was 2GB).

ruinebabine, try jkdefrag, see if it is any better. http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/jkdefrag_portable

I need sleep. :ninja:

puran 1.jpg
    puran 2.jpg
    puran 3.jpg
    puran 4.jpg
    UD.jpg

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you guy's running defraggers while shadowedo_O?? Whyo_O?

4. Saraceno

Peter, not defragging while shadowed.

I just took the screen shots of the display screens while in shadow mode. Saved me doing a reboot.

Note - while trying a few defrag programs I'm doing a ton of reboots! :'(

5. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I should probably go re-read the manual but I am almost pretty sure that the Consolidate is already part of their Auto (OptiSeek technology, pages 33-34...) defrag method.
    I am familiar with JKD and I already have it on my system. Will check with SD problem.

_.png

I will perform some other "defrag" variation testings, and report back.
    Thanks for your help, Osaban and Saraceno.

6. ruinebabine

NO!! :blink: !
    Reread my posts carefully...

But thanks to ask btw!

7. Saraceno

Here's a decent defrag list.

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/06/great-defrag-shootout-all.html

I read the UltimateDefrag help, well parts of it, and it mentioned consolidate does a similar method to the built in XP defrag. It mentions auto being another useful method for most users.

But we're not really talking about defrag/file access speed, but SD virtualisation size.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just in case anyone is wondering, and this may mean nothing, when I stated above that my SD cache, once it reaches a 150-200mb plateau, that it goes up and down like a yo-yo ... I have no other hard drives shadowed, only my primary.

Interesting info coming into this thread, folks, keep it coming!! :cool:

Acadia

9. Saraceno

Acadia, you've unearthed something that is yet to be explained. ;)

Just tried the portable jkdefrag, selected defrag and optimise. Only took about 15 minutes, and see pic below. Seems jkdefrag works best with SD (for me so far).

ruinebabine, if you haven't tried, try portable jkdefrag with defrag and optimise, then if that doesn't work, try the default windows program.

jk.jpg

10. ruinebabine

Saraceno, I am actually running now JkDefrag GUI 1.05 on my K:\ partition, Defrag + Optimize settings ON. Shall see the outcome on SD at the end (fingers crossed!)... Thanks for info.

11. ruinebabine

##.png
    __.png
    ...after JKD optimization + defrag pass:
    EDIT:{hear the clock ticklin' here, I mean some time is passing by here}
    ...I then rebooted and, then, asks SD to shadow the
    K:\ partition, keeping it in shadow mode after next reboot.
    And, after another rebooting, it give this below:

#.png
    _.png
    ...better (and it seems that the number is not climbing now :)), but too much again.
    So I will have to continue to experiment with something else.
    Ideas are welcome...​

EDIT: and NO!
    K;\ partition was NOT in shadow mode in while the defragging pass...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  12. ruinebabine

TuneUp Utilities' drive defragger was updated today and a defrag/optimizing pass made a bit more of squizzling on SD's space used:
    #.png

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I will tell you dudes something now. I do love SD, but defrag before you install and then do not anymore. I use to have defrags that ran for hours.

14. ruinebabine

I tried this way too and I can assure you that it changes nothing on my "spacing problem". Even Tony did not have a definitive solution for that. It seems to also be depending of HD and partition setups.

15. ruinebabine

It seems that I got another that I will have to do the same boring defrag job on (back-up partition on external drive)! [edit: has not been defragged for at least 1 year]
    p.png
    At least the K:\ partition is not climbing and stays stable at the same number, and it's all well on C:\ (my main windows xp partition) with 64MB.
    I just feel more at ease with MB than GB when those ridiculus numbers are relate to SD spacing. :(

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  16. Saraceno

That is frustrating seeing the amount of space used.

I'm no hardware expert, but could it be a combination of the type/brand of hard drives with the operating system?

After three days use, mine is sitting at 1.4GB. Not bad, but I wouldn't mind seeing MBs too.

17. Peter2150

Disregarding there may be a problem with the SD indicator of space used, has anyone actually confirmed the space indicated is actually being used.

When I copied a huge file the indicator dropped to 0. Do I believe it was now using nothing. No. I believe the indicator just couldn't display the size number correctly.

Then at the end of the day I must ask. SO WHAT? Has anyone actually seen a detrimental effect?

18. Saraceno

You're right Peter.

Indicator might not be entirely accurate, and might be just a guide.

SD also has a warning to notify when there is low space remaining. So until a user sees that low space alert, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

19. ruinebabine

I verified what is report by many different tool. But I will post here the 10 screenshots of what was reported by Stats 2000 on P:/ partition when in shadow mode (see SD's screenshot presented in preceding post), because this one seems to be as acurately reporting than any other similar programs also tried. People more knowledgeable than me could try to derive of them the total picture of the situation with SD's spacing.

P_Stats-2000_SDed-00.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-02.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-03.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-04.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-05.png

20. ruinebabine

P_Stats-2000_SDed-06.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-07.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-08.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-09.png
    P_Stats-2000_SDed-10.png !

21. ruinebabine

And, why not, post here as well what was also reported by the other ones tried, to maybe better picture their relatived acuracy, ones to others...
    P_Disktective-SDed.png
    P_FilePro_SDed.png
    P_JDiskReport_SDed.png
    P_OverDisk_SDed.png
    P_Scanner_SDed.png

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  22. ruinebabine

P_ShowMan_SDed.png
    P_WinDirStat_SDed.jpg

P_shadowed.png

23. Peter2150

Boy this thread is spinning around like a fire cracker out of control, and bottom line is we still don't know.

ruinebabine, I appreciate you effort in posting all those screen shots, but they still don't tell me anything, so I ran a test.

I used Everest Ultimate to measure the disk usage on my D: drive. On it I have a huge VM machine, 1g ram and two twenty gig hard drives. When I take a snapshot the files generated are almost 1.2gb per snapshot. Also when the machine is open, VMware creates several directories of files. A good test vehicle.

First I measured the disk usage. ----- 220984MB
    Opened VM and booted machine ----- 222018MB
    Created 2 snapshot in vm machine ----- 224132MB
    Shutdown VM machine --------------- 223125MB
    Started VM mach. deleted snaps
    and shut down machine ------------- 220999MB

So we are essentially back where we started and the usages make sense.

Rebooted

First measured the disk usage ----------220998MB
    Turned on SD protection both disks ------221079 MB ---SD showed 4.09 GB in use
    Fired up VM machine ----------------- 222106Mb SD showed 3.15GB
    Created the 2 snapshots -----------------224228MB SD showed 3.16gb

Then I just shutdown VM
    machine leaving snapshots --------------223218 MB SD still 3.15gb

Finally rebooted shutting down
    Shadowdefender -----------------220998MB Back where we started.

So my conclusion. Disk space usage very consistent with what I was doing, but the SD disk usage indication is very arbitrary. Again to address OP's question. Have no idea.

Pete

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

um ... for what its worth, fellas, I'm using the free Returnil now anyway, so you don't need to do this anymore on my account, although I have a feeling that you're all enjoying this. :D

Acadia

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ruinebabine, you are becoming too technical with your diagrams! I have been doing some tests of my own lately, and I think I can summarize the results, but I cannot explain them.
    1) I can get SD to start with a volume of 0-100 MB as long as the drive is perfectly defragged and consolidated with the data on the outer edge of the disk.
    2) It only works so 'efficiently' if the drive is not partitioned or if it is the only drive shadowed.
    3)I did a test connecting one of my USB emergency drives (120 GB) defragged it with consolidate (It took 4 hours! I usually don't ever bother defragging external drives), and when I finally entered shadow mode simultaneously for the C: and E:, their respective volumes were C: 22 MB and E: 5 GB.
    4) My original interest in this matter was purely comparative in respect to ShadowUser, as it can shadow several volumes starting with a few MB, but it needs a reboot to enter shadow mode. May be the discrepancies that exist with Shadow Defender are due to the fact that it can enter shadow mode at any time without a reboot. Why? May be this is too technical for most of us.
    5) Quoting Peter2150
    there's probably nothing much that can be added.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.