Question for Moderators....

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by DarrenDavisLeeSome, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Um....

I've got Windows 7 RC 7100 x64 set up with my own little version of XP Mode on it.

Can I install ESS on a Virtual Machine OS and get all the updates and such with my current 1 User license on the host system that has ESS installed on it? Or do I need to purchase another User license. Or do I even need any Antivirus or Security applications installed on it if I intend to surf the internet with it? I'm not sure how far the Integration of XPVM with the Windows 7 host goes as far as protecting the Virtual Machine with the host's Antivirus/Security apps.

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

You don't really need a AV just enable w7's firewall, but yes it's allowed to use your license.

3. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Wow...never know you were a Moderatort Funky. Congradulations!!

So, you're saying that I can have ESS installed on both the Virtual Machine and the Host Machine with my current 1 User license. And there won't be any conflicts since I now have it installed on 2 Machines (2 USERS)....?

Again, congradulations on becoming a Moderator.

4. funkydude

It's "congratulations", and if you don't want help from the public, why are you posting in a public forum? Think before you leap, there's a PM system for a reason smart guy.

5. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

lol :D

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

(Off topic I know). Hmm it might have been a play on words, as in, graduate (to) and misspelt French cheese :D (oh that's gratin not gratulate :argh: )

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I believe that there have been other threads started about similar topics and I think 1 license is for one computer so you should be able to.

Why wouldn't you need an AV though? Is the 7 firewall really that good?

Regards,

Mark.

8. funkydude

No, I was meaning in regards to the fact it's a test VM. Firstly, it's a test, so it probably won't be used that much, secondly, if it does get infected, you just restore a point.

9. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Sorry for the smart-ass remark a while back Funky.

Had a wild hair up my _ _ _ .

Windows 7 has been making me climb the walls alot lately.

I think I gots it running OK now....I hope.

10. elyoh

elyoh Registered Member

One licence per currently running operating system would be more correct. I queried ESET support via e-mail on this one as the "per computer" statement is ambiguous. Their response conflicts with what xMarkx says.

Quote from e-mail:
    "1) Dual boot configurations - 1 licence will cover both operating systems as you can only run one operating system at a time.
    2) Virtual PC environments - You will need 1 licence per operating system as there are more than 1 operating system running at the same time."

Nothing about "running operating systems" in the licence as far as I could see.

ESET monitors number of downloads of signatures against users username and password. How that can be effectively checked is beyond me. If you have a 3 boot system and log in each system 3 times a day, you have the same downloads as 1 host plus 2 virtual machines! Yet one is Ok the other not?

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

If that information is directly from ESET Customer Support, then forget what I said. I guess I misunderstood or (more likely) got the information from someone who was only speculating. Sorry..

Regards,

Mark.

12. DarrenDavisLeeSome

13. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

It is still one per computer, it isn't ambiguous, if you have a dual boot, you only need one license because you are only running one "computer" at a time, if you're running a virtual "PC" (Personal COMPUTER) you would need two because you're running two computers at a time, even if one is "virtual", it's still two computers.

14. DarrenDavisLeeSome

15. elyoh

elyoh Registered Member

It's ambiguous because "computer" has no single widely accepted meaning.

You define a computer as a running operating system. Others would say a computer meant the motherboard which everything runs off i.e. dual boot or virtual environment are classed as a single computer.

16. DarrenDavisLeeSome

okay.............

17. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

All right, I'll give you that one, I retract my "it isn't ambiguous", it is. I see your point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.