Question for FD-ISR Users -- And Eric.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by eniqmah, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hi,
    Trying out this bad boy after all the rave I heard. I can't make a snapshot. Services required / And running / are: VSS and RPC. But I get this error:

Attached Files:

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

IMHO related to Vss copy engine,you can change to their dedicated Rss,Peter and Albert can tel you more,buts it only a guess so better contact support !

huub.

3. Coff

Coff Registered Member

By default, in Windows XP and later, VSS is now used to copy the snapshot. Previous versions used Leapfrog's own RSS. RSS is still used in Windows 2000.

You can change from VSS to RSS using the command prompt :

cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup
    ISRSetup -install -rss

Reboot.

To change it back to VSS, use the same command prompt but insert -vss instead of -rss.

Personally, I use RSS for the simple reason that it has always worked.

This doesn't answer why you have a problem with VSS in the first place but should get you up and running and allow you to make your secondary snapshot.

4. eniqmah

Thank you.
    I tried with VSS, but couldn't get it to work. RSS worked just fine and is now making a snapshot.
    I'll head over to the FD forum and read up on how this works best with my system. One post I've read there kind of troubles me because it suggests having only one partition. I don't like that idea at all. I need to keep my disks seperate so as to be able to move them back and forth between computers.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

FDISR or BootBack[just another name,same app.]takes only care for Systempartition mostly C so if you have more part.then you can use them in whatever way you like.

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

From looking at ur screenshot I am wondering if any of the McAfee running bits are interfering, though I would have thought that would interfere with rss copy as well, also wonder what the protected storage running pertains to.
    FD-ISR as Huupi says will only copy the system partition, you can have as many partitions as you want, but FD-ISR will only concern itself with your system partition. In the FD_ISR log you can click on the blue cross for a more detailed description of events.
    Also you could generate a support log from the program which may shed more light on what is happening.
    I've always found either Peter or Eric have most of the solutions to problems between them.

7. eniqmah

Is it safe to say that ISR is just Deepfreeze on steroids?

After about 2 hours of playing with it, looks like the main difference is the snapshot feature, which just requires ALOT more disk space than Deepfreeze. I've not rolled it out on my main system, only on the VM. As it stands, for whatever reason I can not press F1 in the VM during boot time, so I'm still uncertain about the restore feature. While in the VM, I made 2 3 snapshots, booted to 1 of them, then deleted the boot files in that snapshot. After that, I got stuck because I can't get into the boot menu outside of Windows. ( I deleted the ntloader).
    :)

So any ways, assuming that I can get back in to a working snapshot, I'm basically looking at having a frozen copy of my system, but replicated over and over, and I can choose any of its replica to boot into and mess up WITHOUT having to wait forever for recovery by ATI. All I have to do is use ATI to clone the disk that contains C. Is this correct?

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

FD-ISR's freeze feature is similar to deepfreeze but it works in a slightly different way. The freeze option requires a freeze storage area to be made which is where it keeps an image of the snapshot. When you reboot it uses this image to revert the changes. One drawback i find is fd-isr takes a lot longer to revert these changes than deepfreeze does, plus if something were to corrupt the freeze storage i doubt fd-isr would be able to restore the snapshot.
    I use ATI 10 combined with fd-isr. ISR does 90% of the work and i only turn to trueimage if my hard drive becomes corrupted for whatever reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.