Question for ex-Sunbelt users who are now on 64bit Windows

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chakonari, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chakonari

Chakonari Registered Member

The only reason I am still using XP 32 bit instead of Win7 64 bit is because I have not been able to find a replacement for Sunbelt Personal.

What firewall have you ended up using?

Apart from the obvious, what I want is a pop-up which gives me the option to make a temporary(ask again next time) or permanent choice to allow or forbid when:

- A programme is being started for the first time
    - A new programme is attempting to connect to the Internet
    - A programme attempts to launch another programme

I also really like the list under Network Security->Applications where I can easily set "permit/deny/ask" for In/Out on the Trusted Network or Internet.

I have work laptop running Win7 (32 bit) where I tried Comodo, but after I removed Firefox from the trusted programmes list, it just appears there again without any messages when I start the browser - what good is that? After this I selected "Add to blocked programmes" - and then I just get a system message that Firefox can't be found and I don't know where the blocked programmes list is.EDIT: found it

I don't want security software telling me what's safe without giving me the option of doing what I want - if I loose any functionality on my system after setting rules, it should be my problem to figure out what I did wrong. If I wanted to play dumb user, I wouldn't be on MS OS since DOS 5. Linux is not a serious option as there is software I use which can't run under Linux(though I always have a virtual machine with some version of Linux).

I also tried the paranoid mode(thinking setting rules will eventually lead to fewer pop-ups) but encountered the same problem as the user in this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308690 . Comodo just didn't remember anything. I wasn't using a reg cleaner and the Win Firewall was of course off.

Admittedly, I have been using Sunbelt for a long time, so I probably find using it easy because of that.

Is there a comparable replacement for Sunbelt's Personal Firewall, or will I just have to live with loss of functions I like and keep trying out others until I get comfortable with one of them?

Thanks in advance.

PS: This problem is starting to make me feel like a dumb user.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Since nobody answered you yet, perhaps nobody will. So even though I don't meet your requirements (not ex- but current, not 64bit) who should answer, let's see if I can get you started.
    There was a thread on Wilders about a chart someone made listing all firewalls for 64bit, but I don't know where it is.

Take a look at Outpost. There was a recent multipage thread about it with lots of screen shots
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=301332
    Outpost will serve you well. Will do what you want as well as Sunbelt. Alerts do allow you to set application rules according to their presets, or cook your own, or allow once or forever, etc.
    Packet rules are just as detailed though not all rules on one screen. The mini-HIPS section is different than Sunbelt's, but I think it does the same thing. Not sure HIPS is available for 64bi though.
    I'm not on 64bit, so this is only from my use of both on XP 32bit.

Outpost forum here
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/foru...neral-Discussions-Support-and-Troubleshooting

3. Chakonari

Chakonari Registered Member

Thank you very much :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.