Question for Drive Snapshot Users

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Peter2150, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have a question. Since I've been testing backup stuff on my new box, I decided to give Drive Snapshot another whirl. Downloaded the latest, and installed it. I took and image and then booted from Tom's CD. Decided to feel my way thru the DOS commands. First thing I did was the Show command just to see how it reported my drives. On my primary C: drive which is what I'd be restoring, it reported it was to big to evaluate, and called it 8Gb. In reality it is 2 250gb drives in raid 0. At that point I decided not to try a restore.

Any thoughts, ideas's

Pete

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

why not build a bart pe disk - UBCD4win includes DS.

You should be able to add drivers for your raid. I've never used the dos disk

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  3. spm

spm Registered Member

Yes, Pete, as I've encouraged you before - get yourself a UBCD4Win CD built and then use DS's Windows GUI for restore. It's a breeze.

Now, I don't mean to excuse DS's poor DOS interface- it is poor - but irrespective of which imaging prog you use, a UBCD4Win CD is a must, in my view (and it makes any opinion of DS's DOS interface a moot point). Once you have one, and see what it can do for you, you'll never turn back.

4. Peter2150

Okay. I'll have a look at the UBC4win stuff. Thanks guys.

Pete

PS I'm sure I'll have questions.

5. starfish_001

6. Peter2150

Hmm. That may be way the Acronis boot disk doesn't work. Only one that has worked is Image for DOS.

7. starfish_001

I guess that might explain the wrong size - problem

I have used th older version of ubcd before they fully integrated the bts drivers
    I managed to integrated a load of mass storage drivers the - SI 3112 adapter worked for me.

The current version should be much easier to set up. Not got round to trying the new release myself.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL
    There are threads in the terabyte news groups where individuals have used their apps to "de-bug" their hardware.

Drive snapshot is good but even more gui-unfriendly than BING.
    The good is the boot disc, the bad is the interface and going through the PE Cd construction, but, I learn't a lot doing it.
    In the end I went for Terabyte.
    There is an IFW plugin for PE discs.

Lbd.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  9. Peter2150

I may be chasing my tail needlessly:D IFW/IFD has worked flawlessly on every image/restore test I've done.

I looked at the site for UBC4win and I didn't see Drive Snapshot listed as a program on the disk. DO you have to make a plugin??

Pete

10. starfish_001

11. spm

spm Registered Member

If I were you,. I'd stick with what I'm happy with...#

... but if you PM me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you the DS plug-in.

12. Peter2150

Thanks guys. Sounds complicated, which means it's easy after the first time you've done it.:D I will play and educate myself.

Pete

13. starfish_001

Sounds about right.
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

Download here
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm
    You will need autostreamer, ubcd and QEMU for Windows to test the iso - could use vmplayer

create slipstreamed disk for windows - install ubcd and bartpe - copy the extra plugin - follow the build process above.

Disable process guard when running bart pe - causes errors on my system

14. Peter2150

Thanks Starfish

My new box came with SP2 on it. I assume the Windows CD that came with it has SP2 also. One less thing, to hassle with.

PG no longer an issue here.

Pete

15. starfish_001

How did you get on? I like this prog more and more - simple and gdoes the job

16. Peter2150

Hi Starfish

To tell you the truth, I haven't done much. I did go back and try using just the regular restore disk. WHen I just tried a show disk, it reported my 2nd internal drive properly as 250GB, but it gave an error on my C: drive saying it was to large to handle and reported it as 8gb. Drive is 2 250gb drives in raid 0 configuration. Based on that I chose not to try a restore.

Since IFD is just as easy to use, and I've been busy getting this new machine ready for business use before going on vacation, I basicallly I have dropped the project.

WHen I get back I plan on contacting Tom and asking him about the raid drive.

Pete

17. starfish_001

sounds like a good plan

18. Peter2150

Well I heard back from Tom, and when I did what he asked I found that it was indeed reporting my c: drive properly. So I tried a restore and it worked fine.

THen tried with my external USB drive, and although the recovery disk was able to find the drive, I couldn't tell how it was identified, and thus never found the image on it.

Also any understand the significance of the MBR restore?
    one
    Pete

19. spm

spm Registered Member

It's not often needed, but it allows you to restore just the MBR from a (normal) snapshot - for instance, to repair a damaged one. Details of this and other DOS commands here: http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/irestdos.htm

20. Peter2150

So am I correct, that it would restore the MBR and track 0 as it existed at the time the image was taken?

21. spm

spm Registered Member

Well, I haven't actually exercised this function, but my reading of it is that it would restore just the MBR.

22. Peter2150

Finally actually was able to access my external USB Drive. I now have comlete control over Drive Snapshot.

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.