QUESTION: awvvv.dll

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by cat1, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat1

cat1 Registered Member

Hi, does anyone know what this is referring to?
    C:\\WINDOWS\System32\awvvv.dll

Is it part of SpywareGuard?

Thanks for your help.

2. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

I run SpywareGuard and I don't see it on my system.

More knowledgable members I'm sure might identify it.

Sorry couldn't be more help

3. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi cat1 and welcome to Wilders

NOTE : This is info only

according to this site it looks like spyware called VIRTUMONDE

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t75722.html

you can read a description of it at this site

http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/overview.aspx?idvirus=53087

I don't know much about this so please wait until one of the experts answers to your post

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I got that Trojan program (otherwise known as Winfixer/Vundo/Virtumonde) earlier this year. The trojan embeds the main part in the System32 folder and also makes changes to the registry (BHO updates) and changes other settings as well. You may get popup ads when you start your browser. You will probably need Hijackthis (Merijn.org) and Vundofix (atribune.org) utility to treat that infection. A lot of other support forums provided very useful information to help others who got the same trojan. Please note that the infection type will vary (some got the rootkit version and some did not) so the methods used to remove the trojan will vary. I got my help through the Spywareinfo.com forum. I think Castlecops.com and Atribune.org sites also have a help forum too.

Best thing to do is to use some of the online scanners to see if you have the problem. Even though they may not show any problems, you should still post your question on the help forum and allow the tech support person to analyze your hijackthis log. The trojan can dynamically change its name each time you bootup your machine in an attempt to avoid being detected.

5. john2g

john2g Registered Member

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

very few online scanners will show vundo

it is very badly detected by many antiviruses or antispyware programs and even though atribune does his best to keep up with his vundofix tool the only way is to post a HJT log on one of the HJT cleaning forums

Many of the latest versions of vundo contain a root kit that hides from HJT & several other tools but if you know where to look in the HJT log you will see what should be there is missing, which is a good indication of the rootkit vundo

I can confirm that C:\WINDOWS\System32\awvvv.dll appears to be vundo by the name and is a known vundo file but just attempting to delete that file doesn't cure it as it has multiple backups that restore it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.