question about visual basic 6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jima, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jima

jima Registered Member

I have a question for someone who understands programing languages.
    I run win 98se and am looking at installing a program that requires a vb6 run time program called vbruntimesp5 that can be downloaded from Microsoft. It is stated that these files are needed for all programs written in visual basic.
    My question is: Since my current os does not have these files , might I be opening myself up to susceptibility to virus written using this language by installing them? Is this being overly cautious, or should I try to maintain this "benefit" of my outdated os and look for a different program that doesn't require these files?
    Thank you for any responses .

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have always had VB6 on my computers and it has never caused any problems that I am aware of.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

Actually your system most likely has an older version of vbrun. Basically you would just be upgrading. An yes..the upgrade is a benefit......an yes, many programs require vb6.........if I recall spywareblaster does...(you would have to ask javacool to be for sure)

As for your question about viruses.......it should not be an addional risk...........but nothing is absolute...about such things.

the computer is yours..right. you pay for an internet connection..right...or someone does...............so, are you going to run around afraid to use your own property to do things on your own internet connection...for you own work or enjoyment?
    Definitely use tried and proven upgrades........alot of improves for win98se are around......new derag and scandisc......faster..better.........personally I dislike the latest direct x 9..........98se does not seem to like the flavor...........

oh..you do have anti virus and firewall.......if not..just ask..someone will offer their advice.

4. jima

jima Registered Member

Yes thank you for your reply.
    I have updated defrag prog, firewall, antivirus,sbsd, and adaware. I was thinking of installing ccleaner as I removed nav 2003 a while back and I still have some shared DLLs etc in registry and am not sure what is safe to remove.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

Good!...........CC is a nice program......about removing those dll...be very careful......there are un-installers out there to remove norton....most are freeware....try one of those perhaps.......
    There are numerous upgrades for win98se....even some M$ patches for older "office"......just hard to locate......
    Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.