Question about UltimateDefrag 2008

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Osaban, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    Whenever I start UD 2008 (open the GUI) I get a warning: "Boot optimize feature is turned on on your system. Do you want to turn it off?" I couldn't find in the help file anything referring to it. What's the right thing to do, yes or no?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

Attached Files:

2. Isso

Isso Developer

Osaban,

There was a discussion about it on DefragExpress thread, I'm copying some info from it below:

"Boot Time Optimize" is Windows feature that arranges the files as per layout.ini (this is a text file that contains a list of files that are mostly used). It does that operation when the computer is idle (you might notice HDD working when you leave your machine idle for a while). So this checkbox enlables/disables that feature. I found that Windows does very bad job trying to place those files. It leaves a number of free spaces and in fact destroys the intergiry of file layout. So I would highly recommend to disable it.
    Instead you can use Respect Layout.ini option of UltimateDefrag.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I'm confused - why is this dialog occurring at all in UD 2008 as opposed to DefragExpress?

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I'm sure Isso will provide a definitive answer but it sounds to me as if Boot Optimize is turned off by default (i.e. you have to enable it in DefragExpress). o_O

5. Isso

Isso Developer

crofttk,

DefragExpress pops up similar dialog box too - when you open the Settings pane. It just does that only once. For UD it's more important to have Boot optimize off - because UD is intended for advanced file placement and Boot optimize function often destroys the file layouts created by UD.

prius04,

Boot optimize is turned on by default for a fresh install of OS.

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Yes, I understood that, Isso. I was just thinking perhaps DefragExpress turned off boot optimize upon installation (thus requiring it to be re-enabled from within the s/w).

7. Isso

Isso Developer

No, DefragExpress doesn't change that setting - it just reads it and displays as it is.

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

OK, thanks. I think I must have disabled it with PerfectDisk prior to installing UD 2008 OR I simply forgot that the dialogue occurred! I understand the concepts involved here but thought it should only come up for DE and not UD 2008.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, I'll follow your advice, sounds like less activity for the drive in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.