Question about UDF-writer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I want to use SyncBack (Free) for backup to DVD, because it has received a lot of good user reviews. The "problem" is that I need something called UDF-writer. From 2BrightSparks support:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How do I backup to a CD-RW, DVD+RW, or DVD-RW disk?

Last Modified: 24 July 2006
    Answer

First, test your profile with a hard drive to make sure your profiles settings are correct.

Second, you must format your CD/DVD using the UDF file system before using it with SyncBack/SE. This is very important. SyncBack/SE cannot put files onto a CD/DVD unless it has first been formatted in UDF format. You may need to do a full format (instead of a quick format). There are free programs that can do this (see below).

Third, make sure you eject and re-insert your CD after formatting it otherwise you may get errors saying there is no CD in the drive.

DELL DLA (FREE)

- Download 4.95 here and install it (as per instructions on download page).

- Format your CD before using it with SyncBack/SE. Make sure you eject and re-insert your CD after formatting it otherwise you may get errors saying there is no CD in the drive.

- You may need to do a full format (instead of a quick format).

IBM DLA (FREE)

- Download 4.95 build 35b here and install it (as per instructions on download page). If it says it can only be used on IBM hardware then you must use the Dell DLA software instead (see above) or download an older version (here), install it, then install the newer version over the old version.

- Format your CD before using it with SyncBack/SE. Make sure you eject and re-insert your CD after formatting it otherwise you may get errors saying there is no CD in the drive.

- You may need to do a full format (instead of a quick format).
    HP DLA (FREE)

First download HP DLA 4.60 here (this page also provides additional information about why a previous version of the HP DLA can cause bluescreens on Windows 2000, XP and XPSP2) or here.

Then an additional download is also required for the HP/Sonic DLA 4.95.1c here.

After downloading both files, follow these steps:

1. Remove all other packet writing software
    2. Run install of DLA 4.60
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Run install of DLA 4.95.1c
    5. Acknowledge message to remove v4.60
    6. Restart your computer
    7. DLA 4.95.1c install continues automatically, proceed with install
    8. Restart your computer

COMMERCIAL

Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator

Pinnacle Systems Instant CD/DVD

Nero InCD: In some situations SyncBack will not recognise UDF formatted CD's created using Nero InCD. The cause of this problem is unknown and there is no known solution.

Note: Copying a large number of files to a DVD can take an extremely long time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this? How to use? Do I already have this in XP?

Are those three free alternatives mentioned above good, or should I use other? Do I find free DVD-burners with this UDF thing build in?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Packet writing

If u want freeware, then go with the Dell/HP/IBM DLA. Theres a few shareware programs including: Nero InCD, NTI FileCD, and Roxio Drag-to-Disc.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks for info.

Installed Ashampoo BS 2007 free fullversion yesterday. The following is from the programs help file. Is it good news?

Do I still need an udf-writer, or will Ashampoo do?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont think Ashampoo Burning Studio includes packet writing; better stick with the DLA freeware.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If you do some research, you'll see there are "issues" with most optical disk packet writing software. InCD, Drag 'n Drop, DLA, whatever... I haven't researched things much beyond just noticing all the problems. But to me, using an optical disk as a real-time storage medium seems a bit dicey. So, FWIW, I would not recommend you rely on packet writing for a backup solution. My suggestion is that if you like SyncBack, create a folder on your HD that you back things up to and burn that folder to disk with a regular burning program (Ashampoo being one of the nicer ones.)

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you WSFuser and HAN.

Will have to think before I make up my mind.

My intention is to backup to a second hdd (ext), but I also want to backup to DVD for extra safety, since that is a possability.

I`ll probably choose between

SyncBack Free, (with Dell DLA) and

http://www.lapback.no/ (not free) which uses no third party program to backup to DVD. They use their own drivers. (Sent them a mail, and they answered). Norwegian company, program in different languages, also Norwegian which suites me fine since I`m Norwegian. But I dont know if this LapBack is reliable when it comes to DVD-writing.

Perhaps I should read the SyncBack-forum to find out if users do backup successfully to DVD. I hope so.

Happy New Year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.