question about Trusted Zone

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by kC_, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

hi, just wondering if it is safe to set the trusted zone as
    192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

this means that my router is trusted?

(my router is 192.168.0.1)

or would it be more secure to have a trusted zone as 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.15

(only ip's of my servers/pc's and devices)?

2. chemicalkicks

chemicalkicks Registered Member

Good question can anyone help?

What are the implications of trusting your router?

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In my opinion , it is as safe as unsafe . I personally use NAT device but I never trust routers/hardware firewalls 100% . For me they are only addition (excellent addition but just addition) . I think everyone should trust more the software firewall - this is my opinion. It can be only safe if your router is well configured.

Yes , this mean your router is trusted . All IPs 192.168.0.xxx are trusted if subnet 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 is added as trusted

In all cases , this is much more secure ;)

4. chemicalkicks

chemicalkicks Registered Member

Quick response good stuff.

Every time I install ESS beta I get the same message. Would I be wiser to select no, not a trusted Zone.

Im being stupid I'm sure but what difference does it make to the why ESS behaves?

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It depends on you . If you are home user , you are not sharing resourses , then you have nobody to trust on the network , then just select NO . These settings can be changed from ESS's Advanced setup tree
    ess firewall 4.png

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=192322&stc=1&d=1186154593

note: pictures takes from Wilders threads and WSFuser's posts

What do you mean?

6. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

cheers... i do trust the router for inbound protection, but prefer to run software alongside, for fine tuning outbound transmissions..

however ESS has Hard coded rules,, which to me means i cant control it fully.. i hope these rules are gone (or optionally removable) in next version

7. deimos

deimos Registered Member

Just keep in mind that malware today injects code in other processes, most notably IE. That way it usually bypasses outgoing connection control by the firewall.

8. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

malware?

just use common sense.. never had an infection on my home network..

guess that comes from years of cleaning up clients computers:)

9. deimos

deimos Registered Member

Not in that business, though I occasionally shoot some viruses :D . If you want to control (as you said) outgoing connections of all the software you installed, then firewall is ok. Malware is different thing... Problem is that firewall in such case also has to guard against code injection, which is not so simple. People sometimes rely too much on firewall outgoing control, that's why I mentioned it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.