Question about Superantispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandon, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Hi Nick,

Just downloaded SUPERAntispyware Pro trail and it installed fine. Im really looking forward to futher testing this product :)

Possibly you can make SUPERAntispyware automatically detect the Internet Explorer Homepage? Or possibly have a black list of home pages/sites, and if a persons homepage is a blacklisted site you can give them a pop-up type notice telling them that and offer them to change it?

Also, it seems in the Preferences > Help tab the version seems to be seperated by commas ( , ) and shouldn't it be periods ( . )?

Heres a screenshot of it:

Attached Files:

2. Brandon

Re: Questions about Superantispyware

Hi again Nick,

And also possibly could you make it possible for us to minimize SUPERAntispyware to the system tray when it is scanning instead of the taskbar? And once it is done scanning from the system tray you can have balloon like popup come up from the system tray telling the user if he has infections or not..?

Also when I right click on the SUPERAntispyware icon in the system tray and click on the "Help..." button nothing seems to happen?

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Rightclick and help works here. Only thing is that Bitdefender alarmed me which it did also when upgrading to the new version.

File c:\program files\superantispyware\superantispyware.exe may be infected with BehavesLike:Trojan.StartPage

4. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Can someone tell me WHY this program SLOWS down Windows start-up timeo_O I installed this app and after that my XP boot time started to crawl. I un-installed, cleaned the registry and removed leftover folders...and my boot time went back to normal.

Also I noticed that some DLL file associated with SuperAntispyware is being used on Windows start-up? Why is this necessary with an anti-spyware programo_O

I discovered this by having the Verbose Security Status Messages ENABLED in XP.

I really like this app but don't understand why it must intefere with Windows during start-upo_O Hopefully the author can address this issue? It took me almost a friggin' HOUR to clean up my system and get things back to normal!!!

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Brandon - Thanks for the suggestions - I will keep them on our list of wish-list items. Most of them are already there, but just have not been implemented in this release.

BitDefender is incorrectly detecting our application - we have contacted them and hope to have this resolved immediately.

Birdman - We have a WinLogon handler that pre-scans everything in your startup to remove any possible infections before they have a chance to start. This should not slow things down that much. If necessary, I can send you a way to disable the startup scanning.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe in ur next version, u can have the option to completely disable it?

i have not yet tried superantispyware, im simply providing a suggestion

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  7. Brandon

Ok :)

I got one more suggestion for now.

Possibly let us control when SUPERAntiSpyware should check for updates eg; 30, 60 mins or 6, 12, 24 hours instead of the 8 hours default?

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nick

I downloaded the pro version to give it a try. I also noticed the slow down on log in. I have checked do not scan at startup, under the startup options so why should a way be necessary to disable startup scanning.

Pete

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Pete - if the start up scanning is deabled, our WinLogon handler does not perform any tasks expect for delete files and/or registry keys that were found in the previous scan/detection. How much longer is the startup?

Can you e-mail me direct at nicks at superantispyware.com and I will work on this issue with you - I have been instructed not to use this forum for general product "support" - we are setting up our forums this weekend but until those are set up, I will work directly with users as I don't want to violate the terms of these forums.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

10. Brandon

Hi Peter,

I can not confirm the slowdown at startup with startup scanning disabled.

Have you also treid disabling the "Scan startup locations in registry when system starts (recommended)" under the Real-Time Protection tab?

Nick - Will be looking forward to the new forums :)

11. Brandon

Hi Nick,

What is the normal cpu usage of SUPERAntiSpyware? For me at startup it is at ~30K and then goes down to ~25K - 21K is this normal?

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Brandon - the CPU usage will vary depending on the types of files scanned and size of the files. When scanning the typical CPU usage will be between 30%-50% as using blocking reads of the disk force the program to be "idle" about 50% of the time. The memory sounds about right as Windows does not actually release the memory once it becomes fragemented by many small files, etc. but keep in mind that Windows will swap that to disk if another application needs the memory - so the amounts actually used by various program should not have a huge impact on your system as Windows handles that quite nicely from a system level.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

13. Peter2150

Hi Nick

I have all three startup options disabled, the scan, the registry scan and the update. Ironically, the upside to the slow down, is it spreads up the startup process which is almost good, since before things got kind of bunched up.

One other question. On the purchase page you have two options.
    1) a second copy for 9.95, and 2) a lifetime subscription for 9.95.

If one selects both options, does that mean it's a lifetime upgrade on both copies.

Pete

14. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Pete - thanks for the information. The only other time you may see any slow down is after hundreds of items are detected and must be deleted when the system starts.

When purchasing the extra copy, you need to add the $9.95 LIFETIME to the extra copy as well. I am updating that text to indicate that so users won't be confused. The $9.95 LIFETIME is a good deal - other companies charge $29.95, etc. per year. This is a special we are running for a limited time and may not be available in the future.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

15. Brandon

O Ok,

The current scanning options I have are(when I am doing a full system scan):
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6388/superantispywarepic24sp.png

It seems when scanning the registry the cpu usage of SUPERAntiSpyware goes up and down between 19K and 9K and keeps on doing it why is this? Then it levels off once its starts scanning the files. For me it is less then ~20K when scanning..

It also seems to scan very slow on .log files o_O

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Brandon - Windows does not do async registry access, so when accessing the registry (scanning) the CPU usage will be much higher as SAS does not have to "wait" for the operation to complete.

We may have the option to "set" the amount of power SAS uses of your cpu - keep in mind this would make scan times "longer" but could be done in the background.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

17. Peter2150

Hi Nick

Thanks for the purchase info update.

Interestinig update on the startup. First a full scan had indicated my system is clean so no deletions. I am also running the KAV 6.0 build 299 which is the release version. I have the File AV and the scan on startup turned off. On SAS I have all 3 startup options turned off. When I first rebooted and noticed the slow start up after iinstalling SAS of course I had KAV enabled. Just by chance rebooted with KAV disabled and there was no slow down. So even with both programs in theory doing nothing there clearly is an interaction.

Bottom line: for me it isn't a big deal.

Pete

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware reported my Rootkit Hook Analyzer as a threat and removed it from my harddisk, but the program folder is still there with leftovers.
    http://www.resplendence.com/hookanalyzer
    I assume that this was a false positive ?

19. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

ErikAlbert - did you report it as a False-Positive? I will take a look at it and we can certainly adjust our rules! Thanks for the report!

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

20. ErikAlbert

No I didn't. Maybe it wasn't a false positive. I'm not the expert, but other members are. If they confirmed it, I would have reported it myself.

Since we are talking about reporting false positives.
    Why don't you provide an option "Report False Positive" along with the options "Remove, Ignore, Quarantine, ..." in order to report these false positives automatically to your company.
    In that case nobody has to spend time on writing an email to your company to report false positives anymore.

21. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

There is an option on the screen that shows detected items to select the item and report it as a false positive :) It sends the file and all required information regarding the detection to us where we can analyze it.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

22. ErikAlbert

Well done !!! Most scanners don't even have that option. So I didn't expect this possibility. I will pay more attention next time.

23. Brandon

Possibly also a button on the main interface to report files either not picked up or fp's?

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Brandon - we may add the False Positive report in the Quarantine - as if a file is removed incorrectly, that is where it would go. The report non-detected item is on our list for the next release :)

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

25. Brandon

Sounds even better :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.