Question about spyBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by hoho, Nov 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoho

hoho Registered Member

I am new(in fact I just downloaded spyblaster about 5mins ago). Well my question is say I go to a site and it has some spyware what spyblaster does not have as a protected thing is their away I will be able to add to to spyblaster to protect me from it or does it do it atuomaticly?? or do I have to send it in or what??

2. hoho

hoho Registered Member

What if...

spyblaster does not have one of the spyware say on the site you go to and you find a new spyware since you used a different program to sweep. Would you able to add that to spyblaster yourself or do you have to send it in or what? If you can not add it yourself their should a option were you can.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:What if...

This thread may look a little strange... The reason is that there were two threads from the same person about the same topic going on at the same time in two different sections. Since they were really the same, and both had valid responses I decided to merge them knowing full well it might look strange. But, at least it all is in the one place now. - LWM

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Certainly you can block it yourself with the Custom Blocking tool in SpywareBlaster.

More info can be found in this thread: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13684

But I would request, and highly recommend, that you post about it here instead. That way I can check it out and add it to the SpywareBlaster database so everyone can benefit from protection. :)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

5. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Thxs alot. But how do you find out what the clsid code is do you have to find the folder it is in. Or can another spyware program tell you like spysweeper?

6. hoho

hoho Registered Member

ya of course. I would post it here so everyone could benfit from it. But I thought this post got deleted but it just got moved as I just found when I put another one out but I will ask another question. How do you find out that clsid code? Like were do you look?

7. LowWaterMark

The most information available on these forums for finding out what somethings CLSID is, is posted in the thread I linked above. But, even that is limited. Finding a CLSID is not easy. Read that thread and the linked Microsoft thread within it. It is a starting place.

8. hoho

hoho Registered Member

K. But do you think in the next versions of this program they will make it so that it is sort of a wizzard or something what will find it self like scan your computer for unknow spyware or something like that and add it to their list?

9. LowWaterMark

No, I really don't think that will happen. That would be a very different and a much more complex program than SpywareBlaster is right now.

Today SpywareBlaster merely provides the mechanism to set the protections in the registry for a list of known spyware elements. These elements are known to Javacool through whatever means he uses to find them, all of which is done completely outside SpywareBlaster.

There is nothing in SpywareBlaster to scan a system or protect it any way except by adding a known CLSID either from Javacool through a database update or by adding it manually as noted in the thread above. (Identifying a spyware CLSID is not easy, so it is unlikely to be automated in this program.)

10. LowWaterMark

I think I'll merge this thread with your other one over in the SpywareBlaster forum in a little while since they are about the same thing. Look for it over there if you don't fine it here later on.

11. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Is their any good tips you can tell me were to look for it. Like have you ever found one? how long did it take you?

12. hoho

hoho Registered Member

I found this site it has a whole list of spyware clsid codes what they update every day here the monitors should look at this see if their are any if they do not have yet and they can update them.

http://home01.wxs.nl/~kleyn080/BHO_list.html

13. LowWaterMark

We know about that site. Actually, the anti-spyware world is not that big a place. If you look at some of the names in the first few paragraphs on that site, you'll see some of them are staff members here in this forum.

I'm afraid there's not a lot here about identifying CLSIDs, but, let's wait and see if you get other responses later in this thread. Best of luck in this! :)

14. JayK

JayK Poster

That statement appears to be a pretty big understatement.

Every forum I go, I see the same nicks. I understand many go back to the time just after Gibson's optout and the beginning of Lavasoft.

Altough spywareinfo is trying to train a new batch of people....

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I only update that once a week or in case a new mailicious one pops up that is spreading quickly.

That list was originally here: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/bhos/
    but it became to big for the blog software to handle, so I moved the extended version to my own site.
    There is a similar site about toolbars here:
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/toolbars/

TonyKlein started collecting the BHO´s and Toolbars and they proved to be a very useful resource for the log readers on the boards around the world.
    I don't know if Tony ever imagined these lists would become that big. :D

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.