Question about Returnil 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by DVD+R, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I just installed this,and have it running, However I have a couple of Questions:

A: As I have Incredimail installed and active at Startup Incedinail checks my email box every minute for new emails. As Returnil reverts everything back to what it was before on Reboot, will it trick Incredimail into thinking that it has received a new email once my system has rebooted? when in fact its the same email I received earlier. I know that if you Rollback to a previous state with Rollback, It does trigger Incredimail into thinking its received a new mail, So I'm wondering if it's the same with Returnil. If this is true, then I'll be getting the same damn email every reboot :blink: Also what about Scheduled Virus scans ? will it deceived NOD32 into thinking its missed a Automated scan, and initiate it each time I reboot :doubt:

B: I chose to make the Virtual partition 10GB as my HD is 500GB, whats a Typical Virtual Drive size you users have o_O

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

You have to turn Returnil off if you do any updates or email so any data can be written to the drive. You can schedule it to turn off at a certain time and back on. A 1-2gb virtual drive is big enough for me. You don't have to run Returnil permanetly.

LOL

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

IMO You should make the VD as large as you think you will use on a regular basis. I initially set mine for 2 GB but later changed it to 500MB which I'll never reach. When's the last time you downloaded an app that was larger than 100MB? :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you use the Premium version, you could use disk cache. Then you could exclude your email folder and you wouldn't lose emails on reboot. You just need to make the disk cache large enough cause when it runs out of space it will switch to memory caching.

Pete

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Some other ideas that may help in this:

1) Use IMAP if your provider supports this option
    2) If the account is web based, you can store important e-mails in a "Save" folder on the server or configure your client to keep a copy of the e-mail on the server
    3) Work normally while protection is on, but at the end of your day, use the client's export feature to make a backup of your current e-mails and folders on an alternate drive and then when you start the client the next day, import the backup and then repeat at the end of the day...
    4) If #3 is not available, create a folder on an alternate drive and then drag & drop those messages you want to save to the folder and then drag & drop the messages back into the client when you start the next day or as needed.

Obviously using IMAP is the easiest option here, but if it is not supported you can use other methods or combinations that prove to be the most conveninet to your needs. As Peter noted, the Premium Edition will allow you to add your local mail folders to the File Manager which allows you to simply click one link in the GUI to commit those files to disk.

Another idea here is to install the client on an alternate drive which will not be affected by RVS's System Protection.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.