Question about RAM...

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ambient_88, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading the RAM in my laptop. Currently, my laptop has two 1024 MB DDR2 sticks (two slots). I checked the manufacturer's website to see what type and how much memory each slot can take. The manual said each slot can only take a maximum of 1024 MB.

For my question... what will happen if I try to put 2048 MB DDR2 per slot? I'd really like to have 4 GB of RAM since I will be using Vista 64-bit from now on.

My laptop can accept PC-4200, PC-5300 667 MHz DDR2 sticks.

Thanks!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Since the manufacturer says it has a max of 1024 per slot it either won't work at all or it will only recognized 1024 of each stick.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

The computer wont turn on at all. If the motherboard detects more than is allowed then it will fail to start. If it does start you will get a BSOD and crash.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You could alway see if you can borrow a 2gig memory stick from someone, remove the 2 x 1gig sticks and put the 2gig stick in and see if it will boot.

5. whitedragon551

He could or he could not waste his time because it wont work.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

To outright say it will not boot is incorrect. Have tried excessive (= beyond what is stated as usable by the BIOS) ram on several systems over the years. At worst they did not boot while others did but only recognized up to xxx amount. Less then actually installed.

@ ambient_88 You could always check the manufacturers website for any BIOS updates that may allow more ram.

7. whitedragon551

Thats funny because PC3200 RAM is backwards compatible with PC2700 RAM and a motherboard that only accepts PC2700 RAM will not boot even if the RAM is exactly what the motherboard calls for. It will not boot. Ive seen it first hand as a PC tech.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Memory compatibility depends on the processor and North Bridge (for Intel processors). Due to this there may be problems - the best way to avoid it is to always use JEDEC specification compliant sticks, and to use good, well known brand names whenever possible.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.