Question about Quarentine folder

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

i have mcafee enterprise 8 installed and after some viruses that have been found while browsing the net, there are about 8 virus files stored in my quarentine folder on my c drive.

The problem is, is everytime i do a scan with Adaware, spybot or even mcafee itself my mcafee goes crazy when it gets to the quarentine folder.

So can i ask is there anyway i can deleate the folder from my drive and replace it with an empty one as i will never need these viruses on my computer, plus someone told me that if i do a system restore it could put them back onto my system.

So will it be ok to just deleate the folder or will something happen if i do.

Thanks

2. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

I think you can just delete the folder without any problem. I did it all the time. Now, I just configure VSE8i not to move files to that folder.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What if the file moved to Quarantine turns out to be a false positive and you have already deleted the folder? How do you then return the file? You can't and that could have been a critical file. I would never delete the Quarantine folder nor would I not use it. What would be safer, if McAfee (or any AV) is going off when it gets near that folder (my AV goes off too) and that bothers you, would be to wait until you are sure that the files in Quarantine are not false positives and then delete the individual files. So, if you are sure the ones currently in Quarantine are real viruses, and not false positives, then delete each of them and then delete them again out of the Recycle bin.

Another way to solve this problem would be to EXCLUDE the Quarantine folder from being scanned by your resident scanner. That option can be configured in McAfee. If the Quarantine folder is excluded from scanning by McAfee resident scanner then when Spybot, etc. are scanning it McAfee won't go off.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

All good AVs use encrypted Quarantine files... Just changing extension to .vir isn't the solution...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.