question about nvidia firewall and outpost

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by WSFuser, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i decided to try the nvidia firewall on my fresh installation of winxp and i noticed that after i installed outpost it didnt warn me for any connection attempts. a few programs were prompted like firefox, IE, explorer, etc. i did teh following things:

1. install nvidia firewall; default set to medium
    2. install rest of drivers
    3. install updates from Microsoft Update
    4. install firefox
    5. install outpost
    6. remove all apps from the rules in the initial configuration wizard and reboot; outpost started
    7. disable active armor in nvidia firewall.
    9. install AV

secondly nod32 keeps saying the updates are corrupt; disabling teh firewall has no effect. ill switch to teh marvell adapter if necessary but i was wondering if anyone could answer me why outpost didnt prompt me for connection attempt. any ideas?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, WSFuser

I have not tried it because i have my Router and OP so saw no need to install it.

but I will install on a test HDD with your set up and see what gives.

Will be much later today [01:37am now] sometime befor I get back to you.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: I use NOD32 as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ok thanx, however, i will forego the nvidia firewall as i prefer that outpost keeps a track of my programs and such. i just asked outta curiousity.

4. passing thru

passing thru Guest

I can confirm that the nForce 4 firewall drivers break OP's application control. Disabling/tweaking nvidia's firewall components (like Activer Armor) is not sufficient. You will have to totally uninstall the firewall drivers to get OP working. This was not the case with nForce 3 firewall drivers (which have no application control). Since I am also behind a router, doing without the nForce 4 firewall was not a big deal.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, WSFuser

I have tried always to get it to work with OP.

I tried disabling the firewalls IAM application control, and the application control in Activer Armor, [which turns off AA as you know] OP [application control and Active Content control] worked till I reboot then it stoped working, so I then Turn the whole thing off, stoped all of it's services and block all it bits with PG, Still could not get OP to work correctly.

So the only ways is to do it as passing thru says, Rip the thing out. :D

Seems I was right with my first thoughts. :)

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.