question about my vista installation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wutsup, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

i finally got around to installing vista on my new hard drive. but i have a few questions.

1.when i booted up from the DVD drive to install windows, i went to the boot menu(f12 for my mobo) and i selected P1-TSST CORP which is my samsung optical drive. should i have selected just CD-ROM instead? or does it not matter?

2. you know how when you install windows vista, it asks you what network location you want? (private, work, or public location) i never got that pop up during windows installation. and when i was first in windows it was automatically set up for public network.

3.so because of question number 2, i thought windows didnt install correctly, so i deleted the partition on my brand new hard drive....and reinstalled windows again. doesnt this create and windows old file somewhere on the computer?

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

1. You should not select CD drive as Vista is not available on CD.
    2. It didnt ask you for a network location because may be -
    a. You LAN cable was unplugged during format or the LAN driver is not included in Vista.
    b. Your WiFi router was off during install or the default driver was not loaded during the install.

3. no it wont per se, if u have formatted and installed on the same partition. In Windows 7, if u do an upgrade, files are moved to Windows.Old, if u do destructive install, no files are moved.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

1) No idea, but I don't think it matters as long as the installation starts. When I installed Vista from DVD (at least 6 times), it always started the install as soon as the DVD is inserted.

2) It should ask sometime during the install, but you can always check later, and change it if you wish. Public location is the best if your computer is not connected to a home network.

3) If the the new installation sees an old installation it will ask you if it should create a folder with the old data. If it doesn't, it means it can't see it (if you say you had deleted it, it makes sense) and it won't be created. Again, you can always deleted later if you find it.

My experience is for Vista Ultimate boxed version.

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

1. yes i know vista is a dvd but when you go to boot menu it shows where you want to boot from. and on that list i couldt either choose CD-ROM(which boots from the dvd drive) or from my samsung drive which is called p-1 tsst corp(which also boots from the dvd drive) so does it not matter?

2. yes i know there is no network driver when you first install windows, but ive installed vista in the past and it asked me what network location i wanted. but this time it didnt ask me or anything and when i got into windows it automatically selected public network. did windows not install correctly?

3.ah ok, so if there was a windows.old folder where would it be located.

and also since i deleted and formatted a brand new hard drive twice......cause i thought wiindows didnt isntall correclty, did it do any damage to the HD from deleting the partitions and formatting the new hard drive twice in less than 30 minutes?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can reformat your HD 50,000 times and it won't do any damage to it beyond ordinary wear and tear from use...

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117366-clean-install-full-version-vista.html

check this tutorial out about vista clean install.

everything was the same for me except for step two #7,

the selection of network location did not show up for me.

and also does it matter if i selected CD-ROM or P-1 TSST Corp(my samsung dvd drive) from boot menu when loading the windows vista install dvd?

7. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Pretty simple, select the one that has the DVD in it. If the CD-ROM is in fact a CD-ROM and not a DVD-ROM then it wouldn't work anyway, so you must have chosen the correct one. What's the other optical drive that you have besides the Samsung?

8. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i only have 1 dvd drive.

if i select cd rom, it boots up from the dvd drive
    if i selected the specific name of my dvd drive, it boots up from the dvd drive just like cd rom

so im just asking if they load up the dvd drive the same way

9. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

OK, now I understand what you meant. I have two optical drives and of course both of them in the boot menu. I have another crate with only one, I'll have to try that out and see if it shows something similar to yours.

I'd say that if it works either way then it doesn't matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.