Question about my IP, why do I have 2 numbers?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by futzel, Nov 14, 2018.

1. futzel

futzel Registered Member

hi,

i am totally confused... i know what an IP is and that there are v4 and v6 and the purpose. but recently i needed to give me IP to a friend so that i could connect to a private game server.

and that when i noticed when i went to find out my IP the result came back like this...

xx.xxx.16.103(xxx.xx.115.52.dyn.isp-name.com)

did not want to put the entire IPs but you get the idea...

i know my IP is xx.xxx.16.103 but what is the (xxx.xx.115.52.dyn.isp-name.com) the numbers are completely different, last time I checked when i was on a different ISP it was 1xx.45.67.89(1xx.45.67.89) ie the same numbers...

so i thought what the hell is this xxx.xx.115.52.dyn.isp-name.com so i put it into my web browser and it comes up with box login with a blank page login and password just like a router login.

So i wanted to know why is the IP different to the other part, should it not be the same numbers?

what's with the login screen on xxx.xx.115.52.dyn.isp-name.com is that a login to my router or something to do with my ISP settings? I am wondering if my ISP has incorrectly configured my connection?

I have disabled remote login to my router so the login is not or should not be that?

help thanx!

futzel

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You just posted your IP address :eek:

"xx.xxx..." is the IPv4 address.

"xxx.xx...dyn.isp-name.com" is the hostname generated from the IPv4 address and the ISP's hostname.

And it has the same digit blocks as the IPv4 address, but in reversed order.

Since you posted the last two blocks of both, you've revealed the complete IPv4 address.

So hey, edit your post ASAP, and show instead the first two didgit blocks of the hostname.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.