Question about Microsoft Critical Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mystique, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystique

Mystique Registered Member

Hi everyone. :)

This is my first post here. I am only a newbie and still getting to grips with everything to do with computers so bear with me and my questions. :oops:

I went to Microsoft's Update page to see what updates there are for my system. As I was reading through the description of each update to see what they are for, I notice that on some of the updates, there is a clause there that says once I install a particular update, it cannot be removed.

I was wondering what it means by that and why it cannot be removed. Isn't that a security breach in itself?

Many many thanks in advance. :)

2. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

I am no expert so this is just my opinion.

Critical Updates are the things that stop MSBlaster and Sasser from infecting your system -- They are CRITICAL. On that basis I just install them when they are available, check often, set your computer to detect them automatically and worry about the consequences later.

I would rather do that than get a particularly nasty virus.

So what if the update goes wrong?

My own personal opinion on this is that if Microsoft released something which did not work properly or caused glitches then they would be inundated with complaints and calls from consumers - they would soon fix it and release a further update.

For me it is Sasser versus trust in the organisation. On that basis I will trust the organisation, because even if they got it wrong they would soon put it right.

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Mystique.:)

Welcome to Wilders.

I always create a new restore point before i download Windows Updates. That way if they cause any problems, i can restore my computer to just before they were installed.

IMHO, good practice before installing anything...

snowbound

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Windows update creates a restore point before installing updates and I think if it is a very major one it will remove all previous restore points you may have made yourself.

I have just checked mine and one was created last night before the IE update but my previous July self made ones are there. I note however that the update on 15th July removed all my previous restore points.

As others have posted I definitely download all critical and security updates. I leave the drivers offered plus a few of the ordinary updates eg Windows Messenger as I do not use this. I think SP2 installs automatically so will have to be removed after the install :rolleyes:

5. snowbound

Well all i know is i have removed many of them and always use the restore point i created just before the update.

snowbound

6. snowbound

Just downloaded the IE update and the restore point i created just before is still there.

snowbound

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Yes, this update did not remove any restore points but when I installed KB828741 all my previous restore points were removed by this update.
    I installed last night's and any RP's I had made over the last few weeks still remained but Windows update created one last night itself - Windows update v4 - I can restore prior to this but did not create the specific RP.

I had to re-install KB828741 after running sfc /scannow and it removed all my RP's up to the date I re-installed this o_O

It is worth checking your updates with Belarc as this was how I discovered sfc had removed KB828741.

8. snowbound

I just checked mine again and Windows Update did not create a restore point.

As for the KB828741 update, i did that one on April 13, but as i have reduced the size of System Restore i have no restore points previous to June.

snowbound

9. Mystique

My thanks to you rbw91 for your reply.

Whilst I do understand the importance of the Critical Update, hence the name CRITICAL as you rightly emphasized, my question was rather geared towards more about finding out why a particular update once installed cannot be removed ever. As I am still learning about all these matters, I think it is just fair for me to know what I put into my system especially so with those which once I downloaded will be there in a permanent basis. I do appreciate your points though.

Many thanks to you snowbound and robyn for your replies. Doing a checkpoint prior to an update install is a very good idea indeed. Thank you for that. I recently had to disable System Restore prior to a damage clean up so I have lost all restore points prior to today so I have to check if Windows created a checkpoint when I did the update install, once I get the time. :eek:

And thanks snowbound for the warm welcome :). I think that this is a brilliant site for a neophyte like me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

The only reason mine removed previous restore points was because I had to re-install the update after running sfc /scannow. This would have replaced the old RPC therefore I needed to re-install and when this was done my previous restore points were deleted by the update automatically. I did not even know it had been removed until I used Belarc for another detail I needed. I now use Belarc to keep a check on my update status.

11. snowbound

12. Mystique

Bless your cotton socks snowbound. :) I read that article with much interest. Thanks.

I don't know if you can quote here from other websites but I found this especially interesting. ( Feel free to delete this if we can't quote. :oops: )

Quote from PC world article ( see above link ) :
    "Anyone who worries about potential problems with a new patch or service pack shouldn't install patches as soon as they come out. Wait a week or two. Check Microsoft's site to find out about any emerging caveats. For problems with non-Microsoft patches, you'll need to monitor the vendors' sites for updates. Remember to read our monthly Bugs and Fixes column for advice about dealing with troublesome patches from Microsoft and others. You can also search discussions on Google.

If a patch causes problems, you may or may not be able to remove it. "The reality is that sometimes patches simply are not uninstallable," says Iain Mulholland, security program manager in Microsoft's Security Response Center. So check the download notes (if any) for details about whether you can back out." End of Quote

Seems to me that even security experts people have a dilemma on this. I'll keep my mind open about this anyway and learn as I go along.

Many thanks again snowbound.

13. snowbound

Quoting other sites is fine. :)

Glad u found it interesting.

I usually always wait a few days before i update. If there's a problem, it's never long before u hear about it.;)

snowbound

14. Mystique

Thanks for clarifying that snowbound. :)

15. snowbound

Your Welcome. ;)

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.