Question about MBR.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ErikAlbert, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hello,
    Does a .tib-file, created during the backup of the system partition, contain the MBR ?
    If yes, is the MBR restored also, when I restore this .tib-file on the system partition?
    TIA.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, from build 3567 on.

Not automatically. You have to go through the wizard and when it gets to the end you have to use the selection to restore another partition. The wizard will take you back to where the available partitions are and you can then put a check beside the MBR entry.

IMO, the TI interface doesn't follow typical Windows convention. A check box usually means you can select one or multiple but the wizard only lets you select one item at a time which is why you have to loop back in the wizard. It would have been better done as a radio button.

Unless the drive has no MBR or it is corrupted/wrong you normally don't have to restore the MBR since deleting the C partition does not affect the MBR.

Edit: I should mention that if you restore the MBR the disk it is restored to should have the same number (not necessarily the same sizes) of partitions that the drive the MBR was taken from had.

3. ErikAlbert

seekforever,
    Thanks for your explanation. Now I do know this, I will try to restore in a different way to see what happens.
    Kind of cumbersome this procedure pffft.
    Because a .tib-file has an image of everything, why can't a restore put that image simply back on your harddisk, including the MBR on that .tib-file. That's what users expect from a restore.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi ErikAlbert,

TI doesn't just capture the MBR but also includes the rest of the Track 0 info, in particular the Partition Table. You will be glad of the option to omit the Track 0/MBR if you ever need to restore the partition content to a different partition layout ;).

Regards

5. ErikAlbert

OK with that, but it would be easier if ATI gave me two choices :
    1. Restore with MBR
    2. Restore without MBR.
    I can't make that choice now because I have only one selection the partition or the MBR, but not both.

How can I restore the partition and the MBR in just one procedure.?

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

As seekforever said, a couple of screens after selecting the partition you tell TI that you want to restore one more partition. You are taken back to the partition selection screen, where, this time, you select the MBR/Track 0 alone. The two tasks are added and performed in the same operation.

It's a safety measure worth having, IMO, now that the MBR image isn't linked to the entire disk image anymore.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  7. ErikAlbert

seekforever, bVolk and Menorcaman,
    My first attempt after seekforever's post was a disaster, but it was my stupidity, my first attempt is always like that. :D
    My second attempt however was successfull because I got smarter after the first attempt.
    Acronis True Image and FirstDefense-ISR seem to work together now as friends and that's what I wanted to accomplish.

The procedure isn't really an example of "simplicity is always brilliant".
    I had to go through 14 screens before I could click the "Proceed" button, but it worked.

Thanks alot everybody for helping me out. Until the next problem. :D

8. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Erik,

How did you get True Image and FDSIR to work together?

I am having problems rebooting after a restore. I forgot to disable FDSIR before the first full image. I did remember on the incrementals. Maybe True Image only images on the initial image. I did changed the partition sizes during the restore from the incremental.

Any thoughts?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Silver0066

I would suggest using the MBRtool you should have if you made the floppy on FDISR install, but that will set the MBR back to like it was when you installed FDISR, so the partition size may be a problem.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

Silver0066,
    This is how I restore my system partition with FDISR on it in FULL DETAIL, but that's what "I" do and maybe it won't work for you.
    Nevertheless it's possible that you can learn from it.
    It looks like a long procedure, but it really isn't, once you are familiar with it.
    Of course I didn't change the sizes of my partition and I don't have any experience with it.
    I hope it helps.

01. Main Screen "Acronis True Imege Home - Pick a Task"
    a. Click "Recovery"

02. Screen "Restore Data Wizard"
    a. Click "Next"

03. Screen "Archive Selection"
    a. Choose the approperiate .tib-file
    b. Click "Next"

04. Screen "Restoration Type Selection"
    a. Mark "Restore disks and partitions" (default)
    b. Click "Next"

05. Screen "Partition or disk to restore.
    a. Mark "System Partition [C:]"
    b. Click "Next"

06. Screen "Restored Partition Location"
    a. Mark "System Partition [C:]"
    b. Click "Next"

07. Screen "Restored Partition Type"
    a. Mark "Active" (default)
    b. Click "Next"

08. Screen "Restored Partition Size"
    a. Click "Next"

09. Screen "Logical Drive Letter"
    a. Mark "Yes, I want to assign a logical drive letter to the restored partition" (default)
    b. Choose "C:" (default)
    c. Click "Next"

10. Screen "Next Selection"
    a. Mark "Yes, I want to restore another partition or harddisk drive"
    b. Click "Next"

11. Screen "Partition or Disk to Restore"
    a. Mark "MBR and Track 0"
    b. Click "Next"

12. Screen "Disk Selection"
    a. Choose "Disk 1"
    b. Click "Next"

13. Screen "Next Selection"
    a. Mark "No, I do not"
    b. Click "Next"

14. Screen "Choose Restore Options"
    a. Mark "Use default options"
    b. Click "Next"

15. Screen for starting the restore.
    a. Click "Proceed"

Good luck !!!

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

silver0066, when I had MBR problems with FD-ISR alongside an ATI restore, the path of least resistance for me was usually to enter Recovery Console (No, NOT a repair install !) from my WinXP install CD and just run fixmbr. So, that's an option depending on what you're comfortable with.

12. ErikAlbert

silver0066,

The MBR-floppy of FDISR contains a readme.txt :

But I never tested this one, so I don't know if it works properly.

13. Peter2150

Just heard back from Raxco. The MBR Tool is designed for a damaged MBR and will restore the MBR to a pre FDISR state. What they said for the case where you do an image restore and preboot isn't there is to go into FDISR Gui and enable Preboot. That should restore info to MBR.

Pete

14. ErikAlbert

Silver0066
    To fix the MBR, you only need to do this. Peter told me about it and I have tested this in jpractice and it works.
    The method I described in a previous posts also works, but this is MUCH SHORTER.

1. RightClick on FDISR-icon in system tray.
    2. Click "Manage FirstDefense-ISR"
    3. Click "Actions"
    4. Click "Enabe Pre-boot"
    5. Close FD-ISR
    6. Reboot
    7. FDISR Preboot Screen appears with F1 and I'm able to choose a snapshot to start Windows.

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That's not fixing the MBR, that's just telling FD-ISR that it's fixed.

16. Peter2150

You raise an interesting question beyond semantics. The question is does enabling Preboot, actually write stuff to Track 0 if it isn't there, or does the information have to be there and enabling just allows FDISR to see it. May ask Todd in leapfrog forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.