Question about Maxthon and Active X

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AnthonyG, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

I am trialing Maxthon on my computer and quite like it but there is one thing i am not sure about which is personally quite important to me, and that is does maxthon and the other I.E based browsers allow dubious web sites to install programs/spyware/dialers and other unwanted things through the active x problem that experts so frequently warn is the main problem with I.E or not.

I am guessing they dont but as they are I.E based they might so i though i had better ask to make sure.

Also if maxthon does are there any other browsers that i can use other than firefox/mozilla that dont have this problem.

Thanks

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi Anthony1uk,

the Maxthon use the settings of IE, so if you don't want any ActiveX you should disable it in the settings of IE. But Maxthon is more secure than IE because have the BHO disabled by default...

Regards

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Sorry but what exaclty is BHO and what does it potentially allow harmful things to do.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

BHO is the acronym for Browser Helper Object....which is usually a DLL file. Looking on the bad side....the DLL file that the coder wrote could basically do anything it wanted concerning additions\subtractions to the files\programs on your hard drive.

From SpywareInfo---> BHO's- Browser Helper Objects

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Upps... Bubba anticipates... :D

You can also use the Immunize feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

NONE of the suggestions that I made use resources, so you can added them for your protection... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.