Question about legacy Checkpoint UTM device

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Abdallah, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Abdallah

Abdallah Registered Member

I got an old Checkpoint 500 UTM device and configured it to be connected to one of my laptops and everything is ok ..

But .. I noticed that some of its services need a subscription to work properly like Antivirus , Antispam .. etc

My concern is that the firmware updates need also the paid subscription , and the company do not offer subscription for that model anymore .. so , I am wondering if using this legacy device will add any layer of security for my home using or the lack of firmware updates for it will make it useless or maybe a risky addon ?

PS : I am using some of its built-in features like smartdefense and firewall and I like it.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It seems you can use this device as a basic router and as such, it will provide a nice layer of security if not already using a router You still need properly security on your notebook to include keeping the OS current, using a local firewall and decent, updated anti-malware software.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.