Question about installing a prog in Returnil

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Joeythedude, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Hi

I'd like to use Returnil to installing a program and then to see what file changes and registry enteries that program would make.

So If I install a program with returnil on and then check the registry with say A squared , the changes be in the registry for A squared to see ?
    Or are they virtualized somewhere , and the program only "thinks" its been installed.

J

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Joeythedude and welcome :)

The program you mention will only see changes within the virtual system just as Windows itself does. Remember, the changes are really only happening within the virtual system so there would be no changes to see or record within the real system unless you make specific changes using the included tools.

Note: The tools however will only allow changes to the Autoruns section of the real system registry. Further, also keep in mind that RVS can only provide testing assistance when using mobile programs (also called "green" by some) that do not need a restart of the computer (Ex: if drivers need to be installed, RVS is not a valid testing environment).

HTH
    Mike

3. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

4. Joeythedude

Thanks , but will A2 ( or any other prog ) still see those "virtual changes" ?

& thanks for the links looks interesting.

5. Coldmoon

Yes, the programs will not know they are in a virtual environment and will see the changes as this is what they are actually monitoring...

6. Joeythedude

Thanks very much.:thumb:

7. jadejadejade

jadejadejade Registered Member

Hi Moon,

Great site and great Returnil program. I just come to see this forum supporting Returnil threads right here.

How about Ashampoo Uninstaller (advanced mode) which has a detailed captured state before/and/after then compare registry? Is it poorer than Returnil in substance?:eek::) ;)

Best Regards,
    Jade

8. Coldmoon

Hello jadejadejade and welcome to the forums :)

You are comparing apples to oranges here as RVS and Ashampoo are entirely different programs. They may work together (not specifically tested) but my first thought would be for retaining the Ashampoo data when using RVS protection. To monitor and then perform a proper uninstall, you would need to ensure that you stored Ashampoo's monitoring data on an alternate partition or drive. For this reason I would strongly suggest experimenting with the configuration within a VMWare, VPC, VirtualBox, etc image to get a better feel for what to expect and how to use them effectively.

Mike

9. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Any image or virtualisation app.like rvs is always better than even the perfect uninstallers, bcos none of the changes remain after reboot.Btw i have not seen any uninstaller to be "perfect", more over they are slow.U may use the uninstallers for software whuch u may to to work for some time(i.e those using drivers or req.reboot)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.