Question about IM's

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MikeBCda, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

Paul's several times reminded us to clear both in- and out-boxes of IM's periodically. And a question dawned on me that I'm just now remembering to ask.

Typically I'll reply to an IM and immediately afterwards clear both places (i.e., the IM to me and my reply). Does deleting my reply right away jeopardize its getting to the other person? Or is it in his/her inbox as soon as I hit Send?

Thanks from Cana-duhhhh ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Mike I always delete all in and out just as soon as i Have read or sent and they always get there ;)

3. MikeBCda

Thanks bigc -- I'd guessed it worked more or less the same as Yahoo's "My greetings", where deleting something you've sent doesn't affect the other person's end, but it sounds like you've pretty much confirmed that.

Of course if the other person(s) never got replies from me, I'd presumably get either (a) "Did you get ....?" follow-ups, or maybe (b) a miserable rep for being anti-social. :D

4. bigc73542

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

This is true for YabbSE. On other boards, phpBB that I know of, you have a Sentbox and a Outbox. What you delete from the Outbox will never reach its destination. As soon as they have been read, they are moved to your Sentbox.

Regards,

Pieter

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Good info there, Pieter - a little candle's starting to flicker now about why I never heard back from some people on other boards. "I am a delete-oholic..." Pete

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
  7. MikeBCda

Thanks, Pieter - obviously that's one area where board-software developers should come to an agreement on common standards and conventions. From the user's viewpoint, "different" and "better" are sometimes far from synonymous (wow, think I spelled that right! ;) ).

8. bigc73542

Now you are useing all of those $.49 words. I might have to get a dictionary :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.