Question about how to backup...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John Begham, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Begham

John Begham Registered Member

Hi,

I have just started working with Acronis TI10. I am not sure, if I doing right, so I have decided to post my question right here.

I have created a backup location and then I have made a full (not incremental or so) file backup of my computer. Everything is fine.

I have scheduled a task to fullfill this complete backup (now incremental) once a month.

As there are folders, which should be backuped more often, I just have created a second task for these folders (which are also included in the complete backup) and I have specified the old backup location and the backup.tib file.

Is this a correct way of doing these backups or should I have create a new (particular redundant) backup file for these folders?

The backup run without any problems in the described configuration. The only thing which makes me contemplative was, that the only description for the backup now is the description I gave for the second task.

Maybe somebody could help me.

Thanks in advance
    John

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi John, welcome to the Forum

Can you please provide some details as to your setup.

For example

* how many disks?

* how are the disks partitioned?

* internal and / or external

* where do you store the backups in relation to the source

* operating system (Windows, Linux...)

* file system (FAT, FAT32, NTFS)

If I have a mental image of your setup then I can provide you with a practical and useful answer.

T

3. John Begham

John Begham Registered Member

Dear Tabvla,

thank you for your fast answer :) .

Hopefully I get all your answers right now:
    - The computer to backup contains 2 (internal) hard disks (of which the "working data" should be backuped)
    - The target disk is an external 500GB USB hard disk.
    - I have make it an Acronis backup location with size of 450 GB
    - All disks (including the external one) are NTFS
    - The OS is Win XP SP2

The process now is, that I want to backup working data (no computer backup or image/clone) just "my data" from the two hard drives to external drive.

My idea now was to make a big backup every month (1st task created) which is about 110 GB. This includes all working data folders and files.

Then my idea was to create a second task which just looks for e.g. my business folders and make a backup all day at the evening.

Now I am not sure whether I doing the following right:
    The first backup has created a file backup.tib on the backup location on the external hard disk.

For the 2nd (daily) backup task I just took this backup.tib again (my thought was, that it is at least just a sub set of the big (first) one.

But now, I am not sure if this is (from an Acronis point of view) right. Allthough Acronis created a part 2, 3 ... of the backup.tib.

Thanks in advance
    John

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi John

This is how I understand your requirements:
    • You only want to backup the data
    • The data is contained on 2 internal disks
    • The backups will be stored on an external USB disk
    My recommendations are as follows:
    1. In ATI v10 use Backup Locations to manage your backups. Refer to the User Guide Chapter 3 and Chapter 7 for details. Backup Locations is based on a principle of "rules" which you set to control the backup process. Backup Locations is a very powerful tool so it is worth your time to investigate the options fully.
    2. Use Scheduling to schedule when backups will occur. Refer to Chapter 8 in the UG for details. Combining Scheduling with Backup Locations provides you with a complete backup solution which is to a large extent autonomous.
    3. You 1st backup will of course be a Full backup. You will have to decide whether to backup the entire partition via the "My Computer" backup option or whether to backup the Files & Folders via the "My Data" option. Both have advantages/disadvantages. By reading the relevant sections in the UG you will be able to determine which process is best for your requirements.
    4. Subsequent backups can be either Incremental or Differential. Again, there are advantages/disadvantages to both these processes. An understanding of how these processes work will enable you to make the correct decision as to which is most appropriate.
    5. Remember to always test your backups. An untested backup is worse than no backup at all.
    If you have further questions please ask.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John Begham,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that the way your schedule is right now it has overwritten the initial backup (created by the 1st task). Please also notice that it is scheduled as a simple backup (not utilising Acronis Backup Location backup policies feature). Please have a look at this post for a detailed explanation on how to use backup policies.
    You can find detailed explanations on backup procedures (and others) in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.