Question about Google

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey guys,
    Pardon me for a potentially stupid question...

I have heard and read about people doing something in google that links keywords up with specific websites. Like when they managed to get "Complete Failure" to show up with the G.W.Bush page.

What is this and how is it done? I am not attempting to do this myself, but rather understand what this is. I see things about it on dozens of forums and websites but nobody has mentioned what is actually being done to get that to work.

If this is a topic best suited for a non-public audience, I would love a PM with some more information.

thank you :)

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Its called a Google Bomb ;)

Wikipedia is pretty public, I think we are safe :p

it amounts to taking an attribute(s) that is normally a fair indicator of relevancy and subverting it to a different purpose

basic search engine optimization
    Relevant quality site using (a link to X)
    Relevant anchor text ->
    Relevant domain name ->
    Relevant file/folder name ->
    Relevant page title tags ->
    Relevant content and headings
    = better rankings.

of course when you typically link to a website the anchor text is generally the domain name
    but if enough links to a site employ a different anchor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You write something like that and hit 'I'm Feeling Lucky.'
    Mrk

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Ok, I understand a little better about what it is.

Are you saying that this is like addin META tags to the html of a site so that it is indexed with more keywords? I use meta tags on my site and was just wondering.

If not, then I guess I'm still not understand how this is done exactly. I read the 2 articles posted above, but it really only explains what it is, not what is actually being done and how it is done.

Thanks

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

not really

its like if 70 forum members started to refer to your site in posts here (20 posts each) as cap in your ass, the phenomena spreads to another 80 sites that do the same (could be just one member doing it), its all harvested by search bots and suddenly putting a cap in some ones ass displaces relevancy returns to the crips and sopranos with you :p

generally how others refer to you, the number of referals, ect are fairly good metrics for a search algorithms to weight relevancy, but they can be subverted either unintentionally or on purpose, as it mentions, often at some point the new "ism" (cap in your ass) gets posted to a really high traffic site and suddenly its no longer pointing to capp ware, but say techpowerup.com.

look at this
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...en-US:official&q=autotest UTS-325&btnG=Search
    (3rd return) the search Term is autotest UTS-325, and is still displacing most commercial listings with the exception of the manufacturer, because of the traffic techpowerup generates

so anchor text is but one variable, the number of views\traffic to the anchor text is another, the traffic of the site the link originates from is a third, ect

the search algorithms are constantly being tuned to retain a high relevancy and avoid manipulation, thus place considerable weight on relevant sites referring to another site, offering a high utility value that others refer to is a great means of driving traffic

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Oh, got it now. Lets try not to do get those linked up to my website...I'd appreciate it :D:p;)

Thanks for putting it in english for me.

7. anathema

anathema Registered Member

some seo experts claim google bombing can also be used for malafide practises, because when a black hat seo google bombs a competitor, it is supposed to trigger the google ranking algorithm, effectively removing his listings from the pages. This is called "google bowling"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.