question about firewalls gaming and lag

Discussion in 'hardware' started by winterlord, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

I was wondering if im using a hardwire router/firewall does the quality of the device matter since I will be using a cat5 cable instead of using wireless?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It is important to understand the functions of the common but different network devices out there - even though they may be integrated into the same box.

Understand, for example, there is no such thing as a "wireless router". That is an inaccurate "marketing term" for an integrated network device that includes a router and a WAP - wireless access point - in the same box, typically with a 3rd, but also discrete device, a 4-port Ethernet switch.

And in reality, it is really a 5-port Ethernet switch with the WAP circuits connected to the 5th port of the switch internally.

Some integrated devices even include the "gateway" device, the cable/DSL modem. But again - it is a separate device that just happens to reside in the same box, on the same circuit board, using the same power supply, and maybe even the same configuration menu.

Note a router has just one input and one output and is used to connect (or isolate) two networks. An Ethernet switch is used to connect multiple devices to the input of the router. All your wired (Ethernet) computers will enter the integrated device through the switch. Your internal WAP is also connected to the switch internally, so all your wireless devices go through the WAP first, then through the same Ethernet switch, which is then connected to the router, which, in turn, connects your network (everything on your side of the router) to that other big network, the Internet.

So, to answer your question, your wireless devices go through the same router as your wired devices, they just go through WAP first.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I went from a dlink dir655 to a pfsense box with a pii 667 mhz cpu. I believe I felt the difference across all games I played. I know I felt a difference in downloads. I know I felt the difference in rdp stuff. Whether gaming is any better is perhaps debatable.

My initial reasons were that a typical router cannot be as fast, cpu wise, as a pc, so why not try it out and see if there is a difference. FWIW, I love using pfSense over my other standard routers now.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.